Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Funimation in Canada
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
In the July issue of Diamond Comics' "Previews" (for September releases), I noticed that almost all Funimation releases had the disclaimer "not available in Canada"? Why is that? Is another company distributing Funi titles in Canada?
I don't know for certain but could it be they only own the licence for the USA? I mean a lot of stuff is technically illegal to sell in other countries. For example in the UK I can buy US manga off the shelf but they aren't ment to do it. That's why we have just got a load of crappy UK publishing houses that are offshoots of the American companies such as Tokyopop and Viz that mean it's hard as hell for me to complete my Viz manga collections for example with all Viz titles instead I get crap with 'Gollancz' written down the side.

I don't know if that's how it works in Canada, maybe they are allowed to do it because it's so close I don't know.
gubi-gubi Wrote:For example in the UK ... we have just got a load of crappy UK publishing houses that are offshoots of the American companies such as Tokyopop and Viz ... for example with all Viz titles instead I get crap with 'Gollancz' written down the side.

What's the difference between the British version and the American version (other than the publisher, prices and, maybe, the use of the Queen's English)?
rugrats1 Wrote:What's the difference between the British version and the American version (other than the publisher, prices and, maybe, the use of the Queen's English)?

At the moment there's just some slight cover differences and spine differences but im picky about stuff like that lol.

Tanoshimi the UK Del Rey said this in an interview though that didn't sound too good:

"We will initially launch with a UK version of the Del Rey title but will change some of the back pages and where possible make text UK-centric this only being possible on simultaneous US titles where we can have a hand in the editorial process. I think jackets is up for grabs somewhat and we would certainly like to distinguish our editions but this is ultimately the artists decision. Kodansha are very keen though that we publish their manga in the best possible format for our market so I think we?ll experiment once we?re up and running."

UK-centric text doesn't sound too good. They shouldn't even be making text sound American but after years and years of reading American translations it would just sound wierd to here them writing UK slang into manga... The prices are even more expensive than if you buy the American versions which is annoying when they said the whole point was to make it cheaper.

They did say they may release titles that Del Rey won't in the States which could be interesting.