Import Anime Forums

Full Version: computer help needed
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Ok, for some reason my cursor doesn't want to move vertical.

Problems started with it bouncing around the screen click everything when I only touched the mouse itself.
My dad suggested that I change out hte mouse & so I did, but the replacement only moved horivontally.

So I scapped that idea, booted up my computer without a mouse & ran virus scanning software.

I picked up some spyware & a single virus. After deleting them my mouse didn't seem to have a problem.

But, now the problem of movement is worse. When it refuses to move up or down I sit here & try to spin the cursor around in a circle till it locked up, then breaks free of movement constrants for about 2 minutes.

Both the random movement-clicking & the unwillingness to move vertically originated while play Maple Story. Then after a few more errors started to effect my computer outside of the game. I'm unsure if that's the source or what, but I'm almsot certain it's not a hardware problem.

I must add that during the entire time of writing this I don't the mouse to have frozen once. Strange...

I've tried virus scanner & spyware detectors, but they've no results.

I'm running Win98 SE & am using a Microsoft mouse. Are there any diver updates I need or something?

Also, when it frose one of the time, I bashed the mouse around & the problem changed from limited mobility to the situation where the cursor jolts around the screen clicking on everything..shouldn't that mean it's a hardware problem?

Anyways, thanks for any help you might be able to provide.
Get a new mouse.
Cidien Wrote:Get a new mouse.

Yeh or if it's a ball type one then unscrew the bottom and scrape the gunk off the rollers... If that doesn't work then do what Cidien said!
Cidien Wrote:Get a new mouse.
I believe I said I switched out the mouse & the problem still presisted.
This leads me to beleive that it's a software problem.

But also, like I said, when I smashed the mouse into something the problem changed. Which could mean hardware, but then why would the replacement not work either?

Thanks for the suggestions though, but I'm really hoping that's not the only choice I have, I just lost my job 2 weeks ago & I'm dead broke -_-

And to Gubi, yeah man, I tried cleaning it out the first time it 'broke' on me. Then I thought that maybe a piece of that crud fell back in & is hanging on the little sprocket thing. Well, I checked inside it & although I'm not sure where the glob went it's not hung in anything that would effect the vertical movement of the cursor.
Plus, I can't see how that would make the cursor jump around both vertically & horizonally while clicking.

I guess I'll have to try changing out the mouse again & sticking with the other to see if things get any better at all.
Think you just said you smacked it up. I use a m$ infrared with a hard mousepad. Works awesome. 10x better than ball mouses. Those things died on me all the time. Only gone through 1 infrared. Tried playing a fps with a ball mouse at my friends house recently. Man I forgot how bad those are.

If you smacked the mouse and the problem changed that would suggest that probably both your mouses are bad. Like I said, ball mouses suck.
Obligatory: Trackball for life!
gohan32 Wrote:Obligatory: Trackball for life!

Haha I agree though I don't know many that use trackballs.
oh yeah I needed to say, umm my mouse isn't broekn, although I have this strange feeling that it will malfuction next Monday. While actually thinking about it, it first broke on a Monday, it broke last Monday & probably will next Monday. It's a curse I swear!

Anyways, games are some what harder with a ball mouse, but I like it enough to keep it.
Puppet Master Wrote:Haha I agree though I don't know many that use trackballs.
I use one!
what is that like 3 for - 3 against?
I don't have anything against them... especially now that they make optical track balls as opposed to the older style that picked up finger grease too quickly and required insane amounts of cleaning. I just prefer a mouse for the way I like to work. I do see the appeal of using something that doesn't actually require space to move around in I just don't choose to use it.
The ps2 port on your system board is probably going bad, or the keyboard/mouse controler on the system board is shot. i would try an usb optical mouse and see if that works. You just have to make sure you have the usb drivers for win98, seeing how win98 doesn't usually have usb plug in play.
israfel Wrote:The ps2 port on your system board is probably going bad, or the keyboard/mouse controler on the system board is shot. i would try an usb optical mouse and see if that works. You just have to make sure you have the usb drivers for win98, seeing how win98 doesn't usually have usb plug in play.
I know we have an older keyboard around here that I think is a mac keyboard & it's usb, but I don't know about a mouse, but I never really put much thought into the idea that sometihng inside the computer is kicking the bucket.

Which I'm not so much worried now, like i said it pretty much only causes me problems on Mondays, sometimes Sundays, but mostly just Mondays.