Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Laserdisc vs Dvd Is there really that much of a difference?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Well because I spontaniously bought the Urusei Yatsura R1 (USA)box set on laserdisc it didnt cost me that much, like $66 total, less than 1/4 what buying the same thing on dvd would. I ordered a cheap player off of ebay and plan to do a Dvd conversion with my Dvd recorder. I noticed laserdisc were very cheap on ebay, and ordered a wide variety of them, movies, and anime alike, because I know ill be able to hook it up to my Dvd recorder for a quick conversion. Do you think this was wise, yes or no?

[Image: uru44.JPG]
Er no... Would be easyer to convert divx/xvid rips to dvd-r than laser disc... Be better quality aswell. Although having an LD player is cool.
This set has a t-shirt, an art book, illustrations and all kinda of extra stuff with it. The auction said it had better video quality than the current dvd releases, since they are just transfers from the LD anyway.

It wouldnt really be that hard either, I just run the AV cables from the LD player to the input on the Dvd player, then it to the tv, and push record.
i personally wouldn't burn them to Dvd as you will loose quality since DVD are compressed using mpeg2. and even LD are not compressed at all . (hence why such large discs)
Schultz Wrote:i personally wouldn't burn them to Dvd as you will loose quality since DVD are compressed using mpeg2. and even LD are not compressed at all . (hence why such large discs)

So LD has better quality? They are huge though so I guess it makes sense. I didn?t even know you could get them anymore. I've only seen a few of them in my life, and it has been so long since I watched one I could even remember what it was I watched, much less how it looked.
Blight Wrote:So LD has better quality?

Rarely as LD's are analog and not digital.
Die hard LD fans will tell you analog is capable of cleaner and higher quality video because digital video compresses the video, which causes the well known artifacts and motion blur.

LaserDisc, pixelation and motion blur is COMPLETELY non-existant because it does not use digital video, however the picture is not quite as sharp or vibrant because it does not use digital enhancement.

LD died before digital filtering became largely possible in analog video, some of the last LD's which had analog video digitally filtered completely SPANKED there dvd counterparts.

[Image: starwars1.JPG]