Import Anime Forums

Full Version: r1 dvd production costs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Does anyone know what the production costs range for r1 anime such as i know some will be more then others but i just wanna know how much we are getting ripped off ussually.

Not that all companties rip you off but pretty much always.

If it costs me around 25 20 at the cheapest per dvd and sometimes i can get a set for about 80 rarely 50 to 60 for a thin pack but how much profit are they making i wonder and how much are they spending?

So yeah put your input people
I'm pretty sure the bulk of the sum goes to the licensing costs and its very hard to get those numbers. You might be able to find them for movies like akira and appleseed but for shows its very hard. This is the reason I think most new anime is so expensive and the people 'ripping us of' are most likely the japanese studio's. But I have no proof.

Then there's the dub. which is expensive especially if you don't have your own studio (like ADV does). Making the menu's and coverart isn't that costly I think.

I'd love to see all the numbers for a normal 26 ep. show (production costs in japan and profits made from tv broadcasting/dvd sales, licensing in the US, production in the US and sales numbers) and have asked before if anyone had them but no one could help me with them. If you find any share them with me.
I just read an article about this in 'Anime Insider' and occurding to it, they spend a whole lot. But offcourse this is a magazine promoting anime, buying etc.. so they may tend to bend some truths a little. I'll scan it some time and post it up.