Import Anime Forums

Full Version: What do you think of the dub of Naruto?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
hakken Wrote:What I'm saying is that IF it were to make it onto TV, it would HAVE to have most of the edits that it currently has. So if you wanted something that was perfect, why look for the TV version - just wait for the unedited, or keep watching the way you've obviously been able to.

I have seen only like fifteen episodes of the anime because I really, really wanted to wait for the anime to be dubbed. I read the Manga, which is also done by Viz and doesn’t suck. The edits are bad, but the lack of talent on the project is what pisses me off the most. I am aware of the need to edit for T.V., but if the voicing makes it unwatchable, who gives a fuck? The changes I was referring to altering the show was the stuff like the music, which is a great deal why the show has appeal in the first place. Those kind of alterations have NOTHING to do with them not being able to show it on T.V.

hakken Wrote:The fact that it's now accessible to a whole lot more people isn't a *bad* thing, even if what they're accessing is, in your opinion, an inferior product.

They aren't watching something inferior, they are watching a half assed mockery. It IS bad they will be watching a shitty presentation of a good show.

hakken Wrote:Yes, the topic of the thread is "what do you think of the dub of naruto" - but consider, if you take for granted that if they're going to show this on U.S. TV, it's going to have edits, which will inevitably include "the power and perspective falls out of the words and pictures that way" -type ramifications. That taken into account, I think that they did a good job. Not an awesome, nor an excellent job, just a good job. Well worth watching - it's still naruto, even if some of the nuances are missing.

Blah. No one can argue on what is blatantly an opinion. You want it on TV, I want I done well. My priorities are different than yours.

hakken Wrote:And if they hadn't released it, kids in the U.S. and canada wouldn't have anywhere near as easy access to it, and merchandise (specifically the videogames, imo) wouldn't probably have made it to the states.

Do you fucking work for Viz?! Merchandise?! WHAT THE FUCK?! Fuck the kids too; they ruin everything.

hakken Wrote:The internet creates an elite - a group of superinformed people who are privileged with second or third-hand, mostly unedited information. This fact shouldn't impede on everyone's else right to information.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, Yeah I’m just sooo damn privileged. The internet may not be available to every one, but it is far from inaccessible for the masses. I found out all that I know cause I had a desire to look for it. Being spoon fed information is like watching the Nine O’clock news. Your always gonna get someone else's spin on it. And that perfectly says it all. Viz tried too much to make it theirs, when all they should have done is translate it well, and do a good job of voicing it. They failed at that, took away any chance of hearing it the way it should be.
Blight Wrote:Do you fucking work for Viz?! Merchandise?! WHAT THE FUCK?! Fuck the kids too; they ruin everything.

Hahaha Exactly what I was thinking kids DO ruin everything damn little brats...
Ya, those jerks! Wait, I used to be one of them when dbz came to the U.S.! Naruto will be popular among those that have never seen a fansub. Of those that have, I doubt many will watch the english version.
I used to watch DBZ when I was a kid too, but I still think it is one of the greatest shows ever. The thing is, kids can watch a show that is more geared for a mature audience. If they can?t watch it now, then they can at least check it out later. But anything geared towards kids drives away any one but kids. When you cater to a younger group of viewers, teens and adults get the shaft, and the voicing seemed cast in just such a manor.
I think
Quote: Fuck the kids too; they ruin everything.
is where our opinions really break. I believe that kids (specifically the group of people that will have a difficult time getting naruto off the net without help) should be able to watch the anime.

Also, I agree that their editing wasn't optimal (literally, the fact that they edited wasn't optimal), but I just don't see what they've done as horrible. As I've said before, MOST of it was necessary if they wanted to show it to the age group they're targeting it to. (which is a reasonable age group; the same one they've targeted it to in japan, I'm pretty sure).

Lastly, I think their voicing was damn good, considering how hard it is to voice the characters. A couple of them could use some work (and unfortunately, one of those is the main actor), but most of the VA's are very proficient and experienced. (Yuri Lowenthal [sasuke], for example, who has a *very* long list of movies and series he's VA'd, and is fluent in four languages.)

Quote:Do you fucking work for Viz?! Merchandise?! WHAT THE FUCK?!
No. I'm a gamer, so when I find an anime I enjoy, I tend to try to see if there are any games tied to it. Importing japanese versions doesn't work because they're regional, and I don't want to bother with a transformer and buying another console. (considering last time i tried to work a controller in my house, it died within three days).
hakken Wrote:Lastly, I think their voicing was damn good,

I'm just curious what do you think is a bad dub. Naruto is one of the worst i've ever heard and if you think it's damn good i'm very curious as to what is bad.
hakken Wrote:Lastly, I think their voicing was damn good, considering how hard it is to voice the characters. A couple of them could use some work (and unfortunately, one of those is the main actor), but most of the VA's are very proficient and experienced. (Yuri Lowenthal [sasuke], for example, who has a *very* long list of movies and series he's VA'd, and is fluent in four languages.)

No, it's weak. There may be a few good spots, but it sucks balls, and sounds cheap. I like dubs too, so this isn't some sub supremacist spouting dub hate. This was just a failure. Children can see crap too, so i hope it fails. It will at least punish Viz for not trying hard enough.

hakken Wrote:No. I'm a gamer, so when I find an anime I enjoy, I tend to try to see if there are any games tied to it. Importing japanese versions doesn't work because they're regional, and I don't want to bother with a transformer and buying another console. (considering last time i tried to work a controller in my house, it died within three days).

I'm a game fan too, but you know what, most tie in games just suck. I am an immense Yu Yu Hakusho fan, but the fighting game is pretty much unplayable. I hate it almost as much as I like Yu Yu, so I don't seem what the big deal is there.

And I suppose this is a good dub compared to stuff like Zodiac Warriors and such, but counting that as good is like saying Timothy McVey was good compared to Hitler. It only counts in reference, because both are really bad. The dub is the same way. Not the shittiest ever, but still far down the line from where good sits. I mean, what are you trying to say that it "was damn good, considering how hard it is to voice the characters?" It is their job; if they can't hack it, then they shouldn't have bought the license, or the should have out sourced to a different studio. There is no, good considering, it is bad plain and simple.
http://www.narutofan.com/index.php/conte...njyataisen

That's what i'm looking forward to, game-terms. They're making a new one right *now*, with about twice as many characters (sound 5, kabuto, etc). I want to play Haku, becuase I think his bloodline limit is awesome. (http://www.narutofan.com/index.php/conte...%20preview) As for what I think is a bad dub, well, one-piece, tokyo mew mew, some of the voices in FMA, Chouji's voice, and most of berzerk's dub. I personally thought the voices in the naruto dub were appropriate - shikamaru's and sasuke's, for example, I thought were vastly superior to the japanese version i've seen, mainly because of the undertones. Kakashi's could use some work, naruto's could use some work (though I think she'll grow into it), but itachi's and sandaime's are both fine.
Ok you think FMA has bad voices but Narutos are good? I never thought anyone would say that and as far as people seeing subbed version first I've never seen it subbed and I watch everything dubbed but Narutos UNBEARABLE...So what problems are there with FMAs dub?
Puppet Master Wrote:Ok you think FMA has bad voices but Narutos are good? I never thought anyone would say that and as far as people seeing subbed version first I've never seen it subbed and I watch everything dubbed but Narutos UNBEARABLE...So what problems are there with FMAs dub?

That's kinda what I was thinking. Having watched FMA subbed I thought the FMA dub was pretty good. A couple voices were a bit off though.

Berserk had a pretty good dub too.
Cidien Wrote:That's kinda what I was thinking. Having watched FMA subbed I thought the FMA dub was pretty good. A couple voices were a bit off though.

Berserk had a pretty good dub too.

Yeah Berserks was pretty good and I have also seen FMA both ways because i lost patience and wanted to see it all[a while back]. I still want to know where his logic comes from or maybe I don't...
The dub is CRAP!!! like the FMA one.. wish i never bothered d/ling it
rav96 Wrote:The dub is CRAP!!! like the FMA one.. wish i never bothered d/ling it
Well said Rav, well said.
Eww, another sub/dub thread...

I've found that I only like the voices in an anime the first way I saw it, cause that's what I'm used to.
onizuka17711 Wrote:Eww, another sub/dub thread...

I've found that I only like the voices in an anime the first way I saw it, cause that's what I'm used to.

Not really a dub vs sub thread, but what you said is true for me too. If I watch it subbed first, it usually is just odd to see it different, and of course the opposite way as well. But everyone is basically arguing if the dub is good or not, and I think it is shit. Subs really had nothing to do with the argument.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6