Import Anime Forums

Full Version: dvd recorder
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just trying to get into dvd recording and I am looking around for a good dvd recorder, does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations?
Dual layer writers are the next way to go so try get one of them as the disc prices will drop soon.
Duel layer discs will still be expensive enough that it's almost pointless to rent a burn something to it. Unless it's a new movie for like $20.

I personally bought a pioneer duel layer 16x recorder. Not like the 16x does anything as discs screw up half the time if I burn faster than 4x anyways lol. I'm happy with it except it's larger than some. Had to put it in the lower slot on my computer instead of under the cd writer where I wanted it.
i have a pioneer dl 16x also and like it.. replaced my Sony 4x recorder.. Personally i have only boughten 8x discs and i haven't had one fail at those speeds yet on me.. i think its more of quality of discs you got for really cheap discs and they don't / can't take the faster burns..

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6827129161
here is the one i have.
i have a pionneer 1a08 dual layer 4X, awesome dvd burner no problems.
About the dual layer disc i get them for 3 canadian each disc
I use memorex. They're pretty high up there in quality.
Hold on, do you want a DVD burner (as in, internal computer burner) or a DVD Recorder (a standalone device, like a DVD player with a record button). Big difference.

DVD burners, you should wait around for good computer store sales. I got a DL Sony 16x +R and -R DVD Burner for only $60 thanks to a Best Buy Sale. I see other stores with similar deals as well.

DVD recorders, the truth is the more you pay, the better it will be. The $100-120 sets at Walmart, Best Buy, wherever are crap. And despite different brandnames, some of them (literally) have identical hardware inside them (the ILO and this other brand I got were identical on the inside and remote-wise, but a different exterior). go to http://www.dvdrhelp.com , and read the extensive reviews.

Side note: DL DVDs (dual layer) are expensive and for the most part pretty faulty and poorly supported at the moment. Dual Layer -R's are a complete joke. As tempting as they sound, it's not really a useable technology yet for standard watching.
Dvd recorders can't get past the write protection either. I almost bought a standalone and am glad i decided to do a little research online before I did lol.
I have a Light-On internal recorder 16x supports single and dual layer... although I only record on single layer because double layer just costs to damn much.

<3 dvdshrink and dvdencryptor

Ive been renting alot of anime from blockbuster online and making my own sets.
I'm a fellow Lite-On user. I have an external unit. It's my baby.
On a stand-alone dvdrecorder can you copy from any vhs to a dvd, I mean besides recordable vhs tapes can you also copy from normal vhs tapes.
geo85 Wrote:On a stand-alone dvdrecorder can you copy from any vhs to a dvd, I mean besides recordable vhs tapes can you also copy from normal vhs tapes.

Depends if it has macrovision or not... I had to get a macrovision remover...