Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Non-anime boxsets.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I've been buying a lotta non-anime sets lately. I bought the first and third batman dvd box sets. I also just yesterday bought the first couple seasons of that 70's show. Just got roughnecks in the mail yesterday. Watching that right now. =P Gonna get the first couple seasons of home movies when I have money.

Anyone else been collecting box sets lately? I love them. Whether thinpaks or gatefolds they are awesome cuz they hardly cost anything. Unless you buy like the R1 x-files or highlander or something, which are insanely overpriced. I refuse to get the R1's of box sets that sell like 24 eps for nearly $100. There's no reason for that other than greed.
I am not collecting any, but I've been renting a lot of them lately. I just saw Simpsons seasons 2 and 3. When I get a chance, I would like to collect all 6 seasons of Sex and the City. They are fairly decently priced except for the last season.
I've been collecting cartoons lately from the 80's and 90's. I just got ThunderCats and He-Man recently as well as the animated series of Batman Volumes 1-3. I'm assuming you are talking about the Batman animated series, Cidien. I don't know if there even are other boxsets. But anyway, I don't know if you heard, but there will be a fourth volume of Batman released with the 1997 series. I think it was called the New Adventures of Batman or something. From what I hear they are not nearly as good as Batman: The Animated Series but they are probably still worth checking out.
Awesome, I was looking for info to see if they were going to release that.

Now all I need is a batman beyond boxset and i'll be happy.
Cidien Wrote:Awesome, I was looking for info to see if they were going to release that.

Now all I need is a batman beyond boxset and i'll be happy.

That would be cool. I like Batman Beyond a hell of a lot more than any of the other animated series.
Blight Wrote:That would be cool. I like Batman Beyond a hell of a lot more than any of the other animated series.
That's the same with most people. It has been confirmed that there will be boxsets for it, but I'm pretty sure they are going to do that after they finish up the Batman and Superman boxsets. I think they are releasing the DC series as they were originally aired, so Justice League would most likely be the next project after Batman Beyond.
They havn't even finished releasing the single disc releases of batman beyond (wb irritates me with their dvds until lately with the awesome box sets) so it will probably be a while. I've been very tempted to buy the bootleg sets floating around ebay but i'd really rather have perfect quality eps.
Cidien Wrote:bought the first couple seasons of that 70's show.

I have them. Going to try preorder set 3 off Amazon. I have loads of tv boxsets. I probably have more than anime boxsets. Too many to list but the last sets I bought were ALF series 1 and 2. The only thing that is pissing me off is that with ALF and That '70s Show is that the eps are syndicated eps so they are missing a couple of mins on each ep. What the hell is the point?! If im going to shell out cash on the sets I should at least hope they are complete.
I didn't know that. That kinda sucks. I'm just happy to have the show on dvd though. I used to download eps and burn em to dvds but the quality sucked on a lotta eps. The only thing I don't really like about some boxsets is they take a really long time to release the next season sometimes.

On a sidenote about long releases anyone know anything about Geisters? I bought the first dvd a long while ago but havn't bought any more because they take so long to release. The fourth disc (not sure how many there are) is slated as a 2012 release at animeondvd lol. I havn't been able to find any release info for the dvd though.

So how's ALF for ya? Havn't watched that show for a lotta years lol.
Gotta love ALF lol. Grew up watching it. I love buying old shows I used to watch as a kid. Saved By the Bell is next on my list lol. Know what you mean about quality of the old That '70s Show rips. I stopped bothering with them and made my own vcd's from the TV. Damn took me ages to get all the episodes!

I feel your pain about releases taking ages. Sliders second boxset is taking ages to come out in the UK. It's out in the USA but the boxes aren't the same shape (the R1s look alot cooler though).
You pay money to watch ALF again?

I only have southpark season 1-4. I'd like to have Buffy and Angel but doubt I would watch them. To many other things to watch if I have free time.

I am planning on buying Steven Spielbergs 'Taken' and 'Band of brothers' boxsets when I can find them for a nice price. Especially Taken, it blew me away. What an awesome show and really makes you think what if? Highly recommended if you have an interest in aliens and government conspiracies.
I love Band of Brothers. Bought that right away when it came out. You can get it for like 1/3 the price of when it came out lol. Think i've watched that show like 5-6 times already.
Does anyone here have the 24 boxsets? I watched that show with very low expectations and it turned out being one of my favorite of all time. I can watch it for hours and not get bored.

And what is different about syndicated episodes? I don't really understand it. Is it edited or something? I thought what I was seeing on television was complete.
My friends have been telling me to watch 24.
Reb and I have been on a bit of a Joss Whedon kick lately that started with Firefly. That is easily my favourite sci-fi show ever (something finally beats out Bab-5) and I'm looking forward to the movie this fall. Since we were hungry for more, we have been watching Buffy at night after Katina goes to bed.

We watched one episode with Katina awake and for over a week after that we had to deal with "Katina the demon slayer!" I'll have to take a picture of her demon slayer pose because it is so cute.

With five more seasons of Buffy to watch and however many seasons of Angel there are I expect that Mr. Whedon will be taking most of my viewing time when I'm home again.
cyborgninja828 Wrote:And what is different about syndicated episodes? I don't really understand it. Is it edited or something? I thought what I was seeing on television was complete.

I don't quite understand it myself but I think that once an episode gets into reruns they chop a bit off maybe to add more adverts or something... Have no idea why stupid execs use these for dvds of some shows. You can go to http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/ and check out the alterations list to see if the dvds are syndicate eps or not. Check out the That '70s show one here http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/releaseInfo....aseID=3935 note that they also changed some music on some eps! Argh!
Pages: 1 2