Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Something weird I discovered about the Inuyasha R1 Dvd's...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Yes thats right, the official Dvd's published by Viz-Video are Dvd-5. I was going to put one in Dvd-Shrink to make copies, and when everything was set at 100% with no compression on anything.

So, I just used my other program to make a dvd-5 to a dvd-5 and ir worked perfectly, there is no difference from the official one.

No wonder the rips look just as good as the official ones...
i think thats because Viz only puts only 3 episodes per dvd. So there would be no point in using dvd-9 just for 3 episodes.
They may still use dvd9, it just has enough data to fit on a 5. I think the yu yu hakusho dvds do that.

+it only really makes sense to use dvd5 like k said.
Liete Wrote:Yes thats right, the official Dvd's published by Viz-Video are Dvd-5.

Which R1s do you have? I put a few of the discs from the 1st season box set in my drive and they were about 5.7GB...
gubi-gubi Wrote:Which R1s do you have? I put a few of the discs from the 1st season box set in my drive and they were about 5.7GB...
How many episodes did those disks have? If they had 4 then it would be dvd-9, but with only 3 episodes I think dvd-5. I am very unsure on how VIZ does stuff lol. I think ADV uses dvd-9 all the time, but I could be wrong Big Grin
Kiruyuki Wrote:How many episodes did those disks have? If they had 4 then it would be dvd-9, but with only 3 episodes I think dvd-5. I am very unsure on how VIZ does stuff lol. I think ADV uses dvd-9 all the time, but I could be wrong Big Grin

There are around 5 eps a disc in the box set but I was looking at the specs for the single volumes and you seem to only get 3 eps a disc on them. Even so VIZ is hardly known for their superb video quality... In fact I'd say nearly all my VIZ anime has been pretty bad quality... Though that could be to do with the age of the shows... Inuyasha's fairly new though aint it?
Inuyasha started in 2000... or 2001 and just ended this year in Japan. So yes its a new series...

As for the actual video quality its nothing special, although genrally clear the resolution isnt very high. It doesnt look as bright or detailed as the TV airing, if that says anything.

Once again Viz let me down, at least its not as bad as there Ranma set though.
Um, without even seeing the sets i'd have to say you're wrong. I doubt very very much their dvds are of less quality than a tv airing..
I think viz uses chemicals (or just does it digitally) to dull the colors or something, because I actual agree to a certain extent on what he is saying. They must weird processing for their home releases or something.
Blight Wrote:I think viz uses chemicals (or just does it digitally) to dull the colors or something, because I actual agree to a certain extent on what he is saying. They must weird processing for their home releases or something.

I think it's just a lack of processing. I don't think they use any filters or anything so you get left with really grainy images. I can't comment about a tv release though having never seen one but I know a lot of digital encoders who release dual audio rips of anime always hate encoding VIZ stuff as it's always noisy crap.
Im not saying the resolution on the TV release was better, im saying the colors looked more rich and overall vibrant. I think that station increased the resolution, or used a source different from the VIZ Dvd's.

(btw im not a he)
Alright... just read through the last few posts and nobody called you a he?
Cidien Wrote:Alright... just read through the last few posts and nobody called you a he?

Blight Wrote:I actual agree to a certain extent on what he is saying.

Although could of been talking about me who is a he (rhymed!).
Thats not important or relivant to the topic, thats why I did it in small text as its not something worth replying to.

Anyway swaying back on topic, I believe that before anime is aired on tv the stations themselves filter and clean up anime before they air it on television.
Liete Wrote:[B]Anyway swaying back on topic, I believe that before anime is aired on tv the stations themselves filter and clean up anime before they air it on television.

Is anime ever aired on hdtv in the USA? Anyway I think that tv stations get like a digital tape of the show which is probably just like the masters VIZ get off of the Japanese companies. This is probably the same quality as the one VIZ encoded to mpeg2... So chances are it will be higher quality as it wont have mpeg artifacts...
Pages: 1 2