Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Do R1 rips wear out faster then normal DVDs?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I assumed that they do because they are you know, cheap. But I figure it might not be a straight up yes or no question so I thought I'd ask.

I searched for a thread like this and did not find anything sorry if I missed it.Smile
I think they only wear if the actually quality of the disk is bad. The data is fine the way it is. It is the kind of dvd they use that really matters. Here is a comparison: Cheap generic dvd-9 vs. ADV FILMS DVD-9. do you get what I mean?
Mot_Soldats Wrote:I assumed that they do because they are you know, cheap. But I figure it might not be a straight up yes or no question so I thought I'd ask.
I would think that's the case. The longevity of discs depends on the quality of manufacturing process. Cheap, poorly made dvds could have inadequate plastic seals that separate air from aluminum layers where data are stored. Over the time, platic layer can deteriorate (or there could be a leak to begin with) and eventually allows air to leak through. If that happens, aluminuim layer will get oxidized by oxygen and data would get corrupted.
Chances are they will last a long time. Longer than dvd-rs at least. Chances are they will just be the same as normal but you never know. I don't think I have ever come across a thread that mentioned disc deterioration... Only errors in the manufacturing process.
Kiruyuki Wrote:I think they only wear if the actually quality of the disk is bad. The data is fine the way it is. It is the kind of dvd they use that really matters. Here is a comparison: Cheap generic dvd-9 vs. ADV FILMS DVD-9. do you get what I mean?

So putting something on on a cheap disk does shorten life span. OK then.
Kiruyuki Wrote:I think they only wear if the actually quality of the disk is bad. The data is fine the way it is. It is the kind of dvd they use that really matters. Here is a comparison: Cheap generic dvd-9 vs. ADV FILMS DVD-9. do you get what I mean?

So what you and the other replys are basically saying is: a badly made disk could be a problem, but their being more episodes on a single disk then a normal R1 release does no harm if the data is okay. I think I got it.Smile
What are you talking about? Most hk anime dvds are made the exact way that r1's are, chances are they'll last just as long as an r1 (however long that is).
zrdb Wrote:What are you talking about? Most hk anime dvds are made the exact way that r1's are, chances are they'll last just as long as an r1 (however long that is).

They are made the same way but with inferior quality discs and use cheaper factories with no quality control.
gubi-gubi Wrote:They are made the same way but with inferior quality discs and use cheaper factories with no quality control.

Are you a dvd expert? I don't recall anyone anywhere who actually know what they are talking about look at the differences between R1 and HK discs.
Cidien Wrote:Are you a dvd expert? I don't recall anyone anywhere who actually know what they are talking about look at the differences between R1 and HK discs.

No but i'd say it was pretty obvious. Otherwise there wouldn't be trouble with discs not playing/skipping.