Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Area 88 (and dvd price change thread)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was at best buy today and saw this new anime on the shelves. Has anyone seen it before? I love jet fights, so i'd think it would be really cool. Anyone seen the opening of macross zero? That first jet fight is amazing.

On a side note, has best buy raised their dvd prices everywhere else? How about rental stores? I went to best buy today and the regular dvd new releases were selling for $20-23 instead of the usual $15-20. I don't think i've ever seen a non anime dvd in that store sell for over $20 unless it's some special edition. Then I went to rent movies and the prices for old and new releases was raised by almost a full dollar a dvd! Why the hell are dvd prices changing so much!
Cidien Wrote:I was at best buy today and saw this new anime on the shelves. Has anyone seen it before? I love jet fights, so i'd think it would be really cool. Anyone seen the opening of macross zero? That first jet fight is amazing.

On a side note, has best buy raised their dvd prices everywhere else? How about rental stores? I went to best buy today and the regular dvd new releases were selling for $20-23 instead of the usual $15-20. I don't think i've ever seen a non anime dvd in that store sell for over $20 unless it's some special edition. Then I went to rent movies and the prices for old and new releases was raised by almost a full dollar a dvd! Why the hell are dvd prices changing so much!

I DID notice the movie price increase recently IDK what the story is though. As far as rentals go I can't comment on that since I havent been in a rental store in at least 3-4 months...:eek:
I haven't seen the anime for Area 88 but I did read the manga and it's a great story. If they didn't totally botch the whole thing then it should be a great anime.

I'm curious about the animation quality now. If you check it out make sure to let us know.
Will do, i'm gonna rent it from netflix and see how it is. Apparantly this is a remake of the series which was made in the 70s or 80s, forgot read it last night. The old show was released on vhs and laserdisc then they released like half the show on 1 dvd and not the rest. Rather odd. From the review i've read the story is still great but the animation has gotten loads better. I'll let ya know when I see it. Put it at the top of my netflix que. Of course they've been sending me dvds like 5 down my list for no reason lately. :mad:
I just checked the AniDB listing and things look promising.
http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.pl?sh...e&aid=1306
I was really impressed with the work this team did on Macross Zero so I've started downloading this series (to watch eventually...).

All the reviews I've read of the original OAVs from 85 say that they stand up to the test of time. This speaks well for the story line. Now I've got something to be excited about other then Initial D these days.
You mean new fourth stage eps? I havn't started watching them yet. Just collecting them until they are finished. =P I'd just wanna see them even more if I started watching them, like now that i'm caught up with Naruto I gotta wait a week. =/ Two this week as there was no episode last week.
Well netflix just skipped area 88 at the top of my list (surprise) so it will be a little while before I know now. =/ Netflix is really starting to irritate me.
yeah netflix really sucks

i did it for 1 month and i think i got like 6 dvd's in all i mean we are talking a week per dvd like id send it out they would get it then they would take a week to send mine out again WTF!!!!!!!!!!!! but yeah
Yow!!!

I just watched the first episode of Area 88 and it looks like they did a great job updating it. The arial combat is some of the best I've seen without the fighters turning into giant robots or something along the way. The story is pretty much untouched from the original so I'm looking forward to watching the other 11 episodes now.

Thanks for bringing my attention to this.
No problem. Glad to hear it's as cool as I had hoped. =P
well... I'm a bit further into the series and I'm starting to get disappointed. It seems that the director decided to focus all his attention on the action and neglected a lot of the tragic story that is the backbone of the original manga. Almost all the characters lack any serious depth which is a crying shame given the richness found in the manga.

At least it doesn't suck to watch. The visuals still do justice to these classic jets and I've seen much worse in the past. This is still worth watching but you're better off reading the manga.