Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Amazing anime series
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Lately I've been watching some amazing series!

My favourite without a doubt is Otogizoushi! It's become my favourite anime alongside Last Exile. Of course, those who didn't particularly like Last Exile might think Otogizoushi isn't worth watching but believe me it is! The 1st story arc happens during the Heian Period and the 2nd one in modern Tokyo. The characters in the 2nd story arc are reincarnations of the characters in the 1st story arc and so the story spans over 1000 years. It has action, romance, fantasy/occult and a bit of comedy. It's great how one series can combine the feel of ancient Japan and the feel of modern yet traditional Japan so well. Otogizoushi is awesome!

A series that surprised me quite much was Madlax. I didn't expect it to be as good as it is. It has one of the most mysterious and interesting stories I have ever found in an anime. It keeps you guessing right till the final episode.

Another amazing, filled with action and emotion series is Gankutsuou- The Count of Monte Cristo. While it is somewhat faithful to the original story it also adds many new elements which make it into an extremely addicting series.

If you haven't watched these series yet I suggest you do, they're some of the best out there right now.
Andromeda18_ Wrote:Lately I've been watching some amazing series!

My favourite without a doubt is Otogizoushi! It's become my favourite anime alongside Last Exile. Of course, those who didn't particularly like Last Exile might think Otogizoushi isn't worth watching but believe me it is! The 1st story arc happens during the Heian Period and the 2nd one in modern Tokyo. The characters in the 2nd story arc are reincarnations of the characters in the 1st story arc and so the story spans over 1000 years. It has action, romance, fantasy/occult and a bit of comedy. It's great how one series can combine the feel of ancient Japan and the feel of modern yet traditional Japan so well. Otogizoushi is awesome!

A series that surprised me quite much was Madlax. I didn't expect it to be as good as it is. It has one of the most mysterious and interesting stories I have ever found in an anime. It keeps you guessing right till the final episode.

Another amazing, filled with action and emotion series is Gankutsuou- The Count of Monte Cristo. While it is somewhat faithful to the original story it also adds many new elements which make it into an extremely addicting series.

If you haven't watched these series yet I suggest you do, they're some of the best out there right now.

If you don't mind me asking. Would you say Madlax starts out slow or oddly? It's just that I read a review of the first two episodes and it said it was pretty bad. Madlax has been on my to watch list for a long time now becuase I heard it's being made by the same poeple that did Noir and I loved Noir.
Big Grin

I'll make a note of the other series you mentioned since Last Exile is on my top 10 list of favorite anime.Cool
Mot_Soldats Wrote:If you don't mind me asking. Would you say Madlax starts out slow or oddly? It's just that I read a review of the first two episodes and it said it was pretty bad. Madlax has been on my to watch list for a long time now becuase I heard it's being made by the same poeple that did Noir and I loved Noir.
Big Grin

I'll make a note of the other series you mentioned since Last Exile is on my top 10 list of favorite anime.Cool
Madlax starts out kinda slow and odd, but after it picks up is amazing.

And by the way, is your name Tom Stadlos or something :confused: ? I was looking at your odd screen name thing...
onizuka17711 Wrote:Madlax starts out kinda slow and odd, but after it picks up is amazing.

And by the way, is your name Tom Stadlos or something :confused: ? I was looking at your odd screen name thing...

Good to hear it, I hope your right about Madlax. And about my screen name, I'm not sure who "Tom Stadlos"would be. Mot_Soldats is just a short version of my review name that I have for this site, which is: MemberOfTheSoldats.
Mot_Soldats Wrote:Good to hear it, I hope your right about Madlax. And about my screen name, I'm not sure who "Tom Stadlos"would be. Mot_Soldats is just a short version of my review name that I have for this site, which is: MemberOfTheSoldats.
Sorry, then. I figured it was just your name backwards :p .

Mot=Tom Soldats=Stadlos
onizuka17711 Wrote:Sorry, then. I figured it was just your name backwards :p .

Mot=Tom Soldats=Stadlos

Oh I see what you saying now, good guess.Smile
In reply to Andromeda,

I definitly plan on getting Gankutsuou when Vol. 1 releases October 25 I've heard alot of good things about it.

As for Otogi Zoushi I just learned about it yesterday when a friend recommended it to me. It sounds very unique and original would you say the ancient Japan in this has similarities to Twelve Kingdoms (currently my #1)? Regardless, it's already on my buy list, the problem is the size of my buy list and when I'll get it.

Lastly, Madlax... I got the first disc from ADV and it bored the hell out of me. If it gets better later on that's good but to interest me at this point it would have to improve a hell of alot for me to pick it up anytime soon. Also shows that have the "girls with guns" aspect all seem like the same shit to me so I dunno if this goes into that category or not, if not what shows is this similar to?
balthier Wrote:In reply to Andromeda,

I definitly plan on getting Gankutsuou when Vol. 1 releases October 25 I've heard alot of good things about it.

As for Otogi Zoushi I just learned about it yesterday when a friend recommended it to me. It sounds very unique and original would you say the ancient Japan in this has similarities to Twelve Kingdoms (currently my #1)? Regardless, it's already on my buy list, the problem is the size of my buy list and when I'll get it.

Lastly, Madlax... I got the first disc from ADV and it bored the hell out of me. If it gets better later on that's good but to interest me at this point it would have to improve a hell of alot for me to pick it up anytime soon. Also shows that have the "girls with guns" aspect all seem like the same shit to me so I dunno if this goes into that category or not, if not what shows is this similar to?

I can't say the ancient Japan in Otogizoushi is very similar to the world of Twelve Kingdoms because the world of Twelve Kingdoms is ficticious and the world of Otogizoushi isn't. However, there are some similarities, particularly when it comes to the settings. If your buy list is very big why don't you watch the fansubs? That way you can watch the series right away and buy it later, when you have enough money. The R1 editions are definitely a must because they come with an extra dvd which contains a documentary on the Heian Period, you should really buy it but you don't necessarily have to wait to watch the series.

Madlax is as slow paced as Noir. Sometimes it's slow paced, other it's fast paced. The first episodes aren't particularly interesting and are a bit weird and confusing (by the 6th episode I still didn't know what the hell the series was about) but as the story unfolds one can't avoid getting hooked. You just have to find out what the hell is going on!!