Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Hollywood remakes
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Is anyone else out there starting to think that hollywood is starting to run out of original idea's. Well look at it seems like if it was a popular TV series or movie from the 60s-80s they are going to remake it. We can keep counting the Japanese films they are tring to remake, and also all the cartoons and comic books Live Action that have been made. Just for arguement also lets include all the sequals and prequals the last few years. So here is alittle game try to think of as many of the most recent original idea sci fi, fantasy movies to come out of Hollywood. books count if not done into film or TV previously

A few that come to mind for me are

The Fifth Element
Solaris
American Werewolf (the first one)
Legend
Willow
Mantis421 Wrote:So here is alittle game try to think of as many of the most recent original idea sci fi, fantasy movies to come out of Hollywood. books count if not done into film or TV previously
You've got me there,; for the most part hollywood movies suck major balls, so I don't watch many movies other than those on IFC.
The main cause of such hainess idiocy is Paramount. After they cancelled enterprise they wanted to start making more profit instead of spending 2 mil each week on star trek, so they decided to remake their whole back catalog, herby=paramount and so on.
I can't comment on non-re-makes, but er;
oh I watched The Grudge today; er did they leave out some of the explinations or something, which er it was kinda boring, so I spent a lot of time watching my cat walk around & lick herself infront of the tv, maybe I missed something important;
ok, the movie didn't really suck THAT bad, made me jump 3 & 1/2 times (the half was because I wasn't watching the tv at the time, but the volume peaked)

That's one thing though why do they re-make movies like The Ring & ect & then appearently not explain it all in detail? I don't care about people who are to stupid to understand the parts which are Japanese Culture, I just wanna see an english version of the same movie..
As long as the movie is good I don't care if it's original. Very few movies ever made are "original". Pretty much everything thats ever been made is influenced by one movie or another.

If you can't find original movies like how you are thinking you aren't trying very hard. Here's a short list just off the top of my head that popped into my head.

Phonebooth
Jacob the Liar
Fight Club
The Machinist (a lot like fight club though... like I said before though..)
Cidien Wrote:Jacob the Liar
Was Hollywood even corrupt in the 70s? Plus naming an old movie is like saying Halloween is original.
I think the challenge should state the original movie be made in 2000+
Batz Kage Wrote:Was Hollywood even corrupt in the 70s? Plus naming an old movie is like saying Halloween is original.
Give me a few days; I'm sure I'll think of something...maybe :p .
Batz Kage Wrote:Was Hollywood even corrupt in the 70s? Plus naming an old movie is like saying Halloween is original.

Wtf are you talking about. Jakob the liar was made in 1999....
Ciden read up first please, the 99 movie is an american remake of the 1975 movie made in Germany, also fight club is based on the book and most who read the book agree that the movie did not do it justice.

Yes many movies now are remakes but that does not mean people can't come up with something original. What the hell ever happened to the possibilities are endless yada yada yada?
geo85 Wrote:Yes many movies now are remakes but that does not mean people can't come up with something original. What the hell ever happened to the possibilities are endless yada yada yada?

The world got lazy and realized that it's a load of crap...
geo85 Wrote:Ciden read up first please, the 99 movie is an american remake of the 1975 movie made in Germany, also fight club is based on the book and most who read the book agree that the movie did not do it justice.

Yes many movies now are remakes but that does not mean people can't come up with something original. What the hell ever happened to the possibilities are endless yada yada yada?

Tell ya what, you come up with some awesome great idea - DON'T write a book about it and turn it into a movie.

This has gotta be one of the dumbest complaints i've ever seen really. Like I said - who cares if the movie is 100% original if it's entertaining. I dunno about you, but I watch movies to be entertained.
Cidien Wrote:Tell ya what, you come up with some awesome great idea - DON'T write a book about it and turn it into a movie.

This has gotta be one of the dumbest complaints i've ever seen really. Like I said - who cares if the movie is 100% original if it's entertaining. I dunno about you, but I watch movies to be entertained.
I do; I'm sorry, maybe it's this weird elitest artist thing
that's one thing my sister & I always fight over. She can't stand that I hate it when people get lazy & decide to barrow 65% of their product from another source, or just adopt it to film -_- sometimes it works, but most often Hollywood has a way of making it suck..

One movie I hated was teh re-make of The Time Machine -_- Uhgah.
And it hit an all time low as Evil Dead is soon to be re-made...wtf?
I loved Fight Club, mostly because it made me think of Dr. Jekyll & Mr Hyde, which at one time was my favorite book, & still is my favorite of older books.
Havn't heard evil dead is being remade but if raimi is doing it who cares? It's his movie and he came up with it and how to do it. Why can't he change it? Especially if it will still star Bruce Campbell. =P He made that movie. It woulda blown without him.
Cidien Wrote:Havn't heard evil dead is being remade but if raimi is doing it who cares? It's his movie and he came up with it and how to do it. Why can't he change it? Especially if it will still star Bruce Campbell. =P He made that movie. It woulda blown without him.
Umm, dude Campbell isn't going to be in it & last I checked Sam was only watching over the making & not directing; although he will be directing Evil Dead 4 in 2006-07.
Mantis421 Wrote:Is anyone else out there starting to think that hollywood is starting to run out of original idea's. Well look at it seems like if it was a popular TV series or movie from the 60s-80s they are going to remake it. We can keep counting the Japanese films they are tring to remake, and also all the cartoons and comic books Live Action that have been made. Just for arguement also lets include all the sequals and prequals the last few years. So here is alittle game try to think of as many of the most recent original idea sci fi, fantasy movies to come out of Hollywood. books count if not done into film or TV previously

A few that come to mind for me are

The Fifth Element
Solaris
American Werewolf (the first one)
Legend
Willow

That's something that's been annoying me for some time now. Why is it that Hollywood keeps remaking foreign movies? It does indeed seem like they've completely run out of ideas. It also leads me to believe that it's the public's fault. Most likely the American public doesn't watch foreign movies all that much and so when Hollywood sees the potential of such movies as The Ring or Oldboy they think it will be much more profitable to remake them using American actors. Sounds to me like a cultural problem.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5