Import Anime Forums

Full Version: NEW Guyver anime in Japan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I couldn't believe it as I haphazardly walked into this info. There is a new Guyver series to be aired this summer in Japan. For those of you that don't know the guyver started in the mid 80's as a Manga that is still going today and has reached 22 volumes. (Similar to Berserk in this way).

It tells the story of 17 year old High School student Sho Fukamachi who accidentally activates a Unit-G and is transformed into a biological armoured weapon. But the organization known as "Kronos" wants to get the unit back from Sho, and he is pitted into battle against mutating bio-weapons called "Zoanoids".

Up to now there has been a 1 part OVA during the 80's that seemed to take ALOT of liberties and just make up its own story. And there has been 2 6 part OVA series that follow on from each other. Although the 12 part series does a reasonable job of telling the Guyver story, there are alot of liberties taken with certain events/characters and alot of continuity issues to do with not following the manga fuly. Also the series does not reach a proper conclusion as it barely scratches the surface of the 22 part manga (which is still being made, it is currently at #22 in Japan). As well as the series suffering from terrible voice acting in the west and the second 6 episodes had a serious budget cut in animation, which is why the 1st series seriously surpasses it in this area.

As for the Manga, it was picked up by Viz some time ago but they only released 7 volumes and since then it has been on hiatus, although Viz do still own the rights to the english translation there is hope that they may pick it up again if this new series proves popular. (Although there is a place that is translating a releasing the Mangas now, they are up to Volume 6, so if you are interested in this then pm me)

Anyway, here is a link to the official site

As you can see the characters have undergone a bit of a redesign. But are still recognizable, for any person even remotely interested in the Guyver this is very good news, and for fans this is exactly what you have been waiting for. Personally I can't wait for it Smile
Ya heard that quite a while ago. I just want 'em to finish the first series. =/

Guyver was one of the first anime series I saw. Remember being confused I couldn't find the next tape cuz they never finished the story lol.
Slight update in that it is being co-produced by ADV. So a western release is guaranteed (Although how long it will be who knows, plus this also means that ADV won't have to pay HUGE licensing fees because they are co-producing it.)

Oh and to date the guyver manga series has sold over 4 million copies in Japan. In your face to anyone who thinks this is not worthwhile.
Guyver is awesome and there are 2 NA movies made. (second one sucks though - first stars luke skywalker heheh) I'm sure they'd bring it over either way. That reminds me, I wanna pick up Guyver 1 at Best Buy this week. =P
I've recently just picked up models of Guyver I and Guyver III along with 4 of the "Hyper Zoanoid Team 5". Good times, their combined coolness would make the world implode, so I got the shipped in seperate packages Wink

And yes Guyver is Awesome, I saw both the NA movies but I didn't really think they meant much to the Guyver continuity, but they were good, but the 2nd one was FAR better than the first IMO anyway. And marck hamil (sp?) heh.
I guess this is cool news. I never checked out the anime, but I really liked the movies since I was like 8. They were just re-released on dvd a little while back too. I think I might buy them now that I have a decent paying job.
Ryujin Wrote:I've recently just picked up models of Guyver I and Guyver III along with 4 of the "Hyper Zoanoid Team 5". Good times, their combined coolness would make the world implode, so I got the shipped in seperate packages Wink

And yes Guyver is Awesome, I saw both the NA movies but I didn't really think they meant much to the Guyver continuity, but they were good, but the 2nd one was FAR better than the first IMO anyway. And marck hamil (sp?) heh.

Maybe it is. I just watched the second one for the first time a few months ago. I havn't seen the first one since I was about 10 or so, so I might not like it anymore either lol.
The second NA movie had David Hayter (aka Solid Snake) as the main character. I agree with Ryujin in that I felt the second one was better.