Import Anime Forums

Full Version: 7 Samurai
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I stayed up till 6 am watching seven samurai yesterday and I have to say its now one of my fav movies of all time. I hadn't seen it before or any other Akira Kurosawa movies. Has anyone else seen this movie or know of any other Kurosawa movies to recommend.
I've also seen Seven Samurai and I think it's one of the best movies ever.

As for other Kurosawa movies, I haven't seen any of them.
Really should start looking though, I hear they're very good too.
I wastched most up until the 4 o'clock intermission, at which time I laid there for ten minutes...went & took a leak, & when I got back the intermission was still on, & my eyes were quickly closing, so sadly I didn't get to see the end Sad

Although I must say, the movie was really (er what I saw of it). It reminded me of Bokko in ways.
And my favorite of the seven had to have been the one guy that wasn't even a real samurai, I found him all to humorus, especially how he carried his sword with no real respect at all.
The old black and white movie? If so i've been thinking of renting it for a while..
7 samurai rocks, if you ever wanna watch some cool akira films try Roshomon, yojimbo or blood throne. but really most of his samurai films are excellent. if you get the chance always rent the criterion editions they really cleaned up the video.
I agree the farmers son was the best in the film.

Spoiler ALERT!!!

I love when he was drunk and showed them the stolen scroll and pointed to the 12yr old boys name as his own, then they called him that for the rest of the movie, (kuiyoichi I think or something like that).
geo85 Wrote:I agree the farmers son was the best in the film, too bad he died. I love when he was drunk and showed them the stolen scroll and pointed to the 12yr old boys name as his own, then they called him that for the rest of the movie, (kuiyoichi I think or something like that).

Thanks for the spoiler alert. I appreciate it.
oops! Well the movie is very long so its not like you know the ending.
True, but please edit it so other people that may not wanna know won't read it.
I will be careful next time, Sorry.

I looked up Akira Kirusawa and found a very large list of movies, I went on to dvdempire and found a lot of them in criterion edition only, so I will try to see them before plunking down $30 for the criterion version. I also found that the magnificent seven is a rip of seven samurai and that A fist full of dollars (another of my all time favs) is a rip of Yojimbo another Akira movie, I wonder if any other of his movies were copied like this.

Also what makes criterion versons more expensive, I hadnt actually heard of them till a few days ago.
geo85 Wrote:I will be careful next time, Sorry.

I looked up Akira Kirusawa and found a very large list of movies, I went on to dvdempire and found a lot of them in criterion edition only, so I will try to see them before plunking down $30 for the criterion version. I also found that the magnificent seven is a rip of seven samurai and that A fist full of dollars (another of my all time favs) is a rip of Yojimbo another Akira movie, I wonder if any other of his movies were copied like this.

Also what makes criterion versons more expensive, I hadnt actually heard of them till a few days ago.
Those two examples you gave of his work being ripped off, I remember them, but not if any others were.

Above didn't they state that criterion versons had remastered video?
cyberloach Wrote:criterion editions they really cleaned up the video.
I wasn't sure if thats all the difference. If that is the only difference then why are they that expensive, superbit doesn't run much more than the average cost.
critiereon is a weird compagny that picks up the publishing rights of movies that are "classics" tries to revamp them in house and then sells them. The main reason they are so expensive is that most of their titles arent main stream and that they do the remastering themselves(or pay for it to be done). But their is the other side of critiereon that has the "popular" titles, such as Armagadon, life aquatic, rushmore... these are made so they can make money to revamp the smaller titles.
Beware many critiereon titles are limmited editions, like Robocop or Hard Boiled(best action sequence in a movie ever 6-7 minutes long no cuts no wires) and are only available for a limited time.
geo85 Wrote:I wonder if any other of his movies were copied like this.

I heard Star Wars was based on some of his films... Can't remember which though.
Star Wars is based on Hidden Fortress.
It's funny seeing this thread after having watched Rashomon last night. I've seen a number of Kurosawa's classics and have enjoyed all of them a lot.
Something that's fun to do for a long evening is to watch Seven Samurai followed by The Magnificen Seven followed by Battle at the End of the Universe followed by Bug's Life. All four movies use essentially the same story line with The Magnificent Seven being the original.

If you enjoy Kurosawa's movies I also recommend checking out some of the Zatoichi movies that were made. They aren't as good as the Kurosawa flicks but still enjoyable.
Pages: 1 2