Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Learning Japanese
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Today I went to the library for my brother's school assignment and while I was there I saw some people with books on learning to speak japanese. In my mind I felt like walking over there and informing them that unless they live in Japan, california or boston there isn't much chance of using japanese for anything but manga or anime.

I'm not being rude by thinking that as I've had only a few times when I was able to chat with someone in japanese. Plus most japanese think it is rude to speak japanese in america, that makes it way harder to find someone to talk to.

Anyways my question is how many people here have tried or wanted to try to learn japanese? If you tried and gave up why?
I never exactly planned on learning the whole language or anything. i've wanted to, but I just settle with bits & pieces. Why? Because i'm lazy, & I have enough problems with English (a language based upon opinion), so eh, why learn a language with an actually base? Cool
Learning a new language is not one of my strong suits, I had to work my a** of just to pass two mandatory french classes in junior high and immediatly after learning I passed the class the whole thing just leaked out one ear and to this day remember only one line
Je mappelle monseur Jonathan.
geo85 Wrote:Learning a new language is not one of my strong suits, I had to work my a** of just to pass two mandatory french classes in junior high and immediatly after learning I passed the class the whole thing just leaked out one ear and to this day remember only one line
Je mappelle monseur Jonathan.
heh I got lucky, my Spanish Teacher for two years doesn't fail anyone. If you raised your hand & said cat when he asked you to say...well d*mn I can't think of a single spanish word I can spell..whatever, you get the point.
I had an english teacher like that once, show up and ya pass.
I didn't even do one damn homework.
Geez this talk brings back memories
scuse me "sniff sniff"
Aw who am I kidding school sucked dude!!!
Though strangely enough college does not I dont know why.
I learned Japanese and I use it all the time.

Right now I'm using it to enjoy Namco x Capcom.
Only game I ever played in Japenese was the original irritating stick demo way back when, I tried navigating some Japenese web sites for some anime stuff and found it to be pretty easy considering I dont know one charachter, most links are placed in the same order and alignment on these sites so it was process of elimination.
Katkana and Hirigana are pretty easy well the basics as they are phenotics for english terms but kanji is a bitch
I've always wanted to learn it but never find the time... I have a few books and stuff and know the odd phrase (what anime fan doesn't?) but i'm too busy to take classes and stuff...
Well Japanese isn't like French or Spanish in the least bit. I do find it good that many people learning japanese are using it only to watch anime but man does that take down the language a peg.

To be honest though I thought japanese was insanely hard to learn till I actually tried. Although chinese is a totally different story, that stuff is hard beyond belief.
I kind of know what you mean. I tried to learn but found it hard. I tried learning recently and I am picking it up alright I suppose. I was told that once someone can think in anoher language, it would be pretty easy to pick up another one. I WILL one day learn to write in katakana and kanji...I hope. As for the usefulness thing goes, I read japanese magazines so i guess it comes in handy.
tsunami Wrote:Well Japanese isn't like French or Spanish in the least bit. I do find it good that many people learning japanese are using it only to watch anime but man does that take down the language a peg.

To be honest though I thought japanese was insanely hard to learn till I actually tried. Although chinese is a totally different story, that stuff is hard beyond belief.

As you know, I agree with you on this matter, although I have to admit I have it easy when it comes to learning languages. I have the necessary inclination and I enjoy learning new languages. Add an enormous love for Japan and Japanese culture to that and you'll know why I want to learn Japanese.
Well stated *nods* oh yeah, I love your new avatar and your sig! ^_~.
geo85 Wrote:Je mappelle monseur Jonathan.
J'ai mange ton chat!

I dislike taking French :p ... I wanted to take Japanese, but, alas, it isn't offered. I tried to drop it so I could save my brain cells for picking up Japanese on my own, but my councellor basically told me that collages would think I was shit unless I kept going. You know, the whole "not enough language = bad college = bad job = cardboard box house" :p .
tsunami Wrote:Anyways my question is how many people here have tried or wanted to try to learn japanese? If you tried and gave up why?
Well I've only taken a few Japanese classes in college, and to be honest, it helped but only with the basics. I feel I can get more out of the language if I study on my own and practice when I can (I just do it for fun you know). I've also had an interest in studying German but have not found the time. On the other hand, my best friend who attends UCLA w/ me is a Japanese major. She'll be into her junior year soon and is serious about the field *obviously ^_^ ... She really is a big help when I'm in need of translating certain items (especially when receiving my issues of 'Megami' magazine) I love that magazine to death because it's filled with posters, exclusive interviews, sneek peeks of upcoming titles, and of course... for the 'moe!' XP ... Problem is my skills at the language are limited to just holding basic conversations, so that's where she would come in^^; (Though I did try my hands at translating doujinshi for this one group, heheh). Anyway, if you're serious about studying a foreign language, I'd say do it. It takes a lot of time and dedication of course. Oh, and yes, my friend plans to study abroad soon for 6 - 12 months since the college does have a special program for J.majors...
Pages: 1 2 3