Import Anime Forums

Full Version: american voice actors
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
so i have a hobby of looking at american actors and i like to see what they were doing before they got big, and some of the thing i saw where interesting. like the actor james avery, also known as uncle phil on the fresh prince, he was the voice of fang on the fist of the north star movie, as well as the shedder on the original ninja turtles cartoon. but i found an actor recently who took me by complete suprise as to what he has done, one of the greastest animes of all time is macross plus, and isamu dyeson was one of the coolest characters ever, but it turns out he was voiced by byran cranston, the father on malcom in the middle, i was wondering if anyone else has made any interesting discoveries like this
First, anything Macross should be viewed in Japanese. =P But, that's not the point of the topic.

Almost all voice actors seem to have real acting experience. Most seem to have at least broadway experience and many are on tv or in movies.
yeah i know that, i just was saying that there are some more famous actors, people who u wouldn't expect to do anime. i've been watching anime for years, and have followed a few actors carrers in anime, but i like it when i see that major ameican stars lend there voices to things, not just the broadway or 2 bit tv players, although there acting is better than most. and yes macross, and everything else for that matter should be seen in japanese
Cidien Wrote:First, anything Macross should be viewed in Japanese. =P But, that's not the point of the topic.

Unless it was Robotech, then you are talking about two different things. Kanedaestes, you probably already know this one but Vash's horrific English voice was done by ex-black Power Ranger, Johnny Yong Bosch.
evilomar Wrote:Unless it was Robotech, then you are talking about two different things. Kanedaestes, you probably already know this one but Vash's horrific English voice was done by ex-black Power Ranger, Johnny Yong Bosch.

Johnny was an ex-Power Ranger?!?!? :confused: :eek:
I didn't know that. Granted I gave up on Power Rangers after the original series when the green ranger left - I was so depressed after that. Sad

I don't actually mind Johnny's voice acting. I thought Trigun, Last Exile, & Witch Hunter Robin were decent dubs.
i didnt know until he did akira, and they were talking about his power ranger days. i liked his trigun work, but i hated the new akira voice over. the thing is now i have even more respect for these actors, especially when james avery went back to voice acting by doing man of arms on the new masters of the universe. it shows that they respect anime and may not just see it as japanese cartoons like some do. and this doesn't include all the studio ghibli work being released by disney which purposely gets big name stars to do voices.
Didnt the guy who voiced Michelangelo on the Turtles do Kaneda's voice on the first Akira dub? Anyway I heard a lot use diferent names in the credits and stuff as they seem embarrassed that they did voice work when they are 'serious actors' so it can be hard to trace them...
I remember finding out when Kirsten Dunst did Kiki's voice in Kiki's Delivery Service, I thought that was cool, she's done so much in such during her younger years.
Well she was already around for a while already but I think its cool an accomplished actor does a voice in a anime. The example I am thinking of is where Juliette Lewis did one of the characters in "Armitage Duel Matrix"
evilomar Wrote:Unless it was Robotech, then you are talking about two different things. Kanedaestes, you probably already know this one but Vash's horrific English voice was done by ex-black Power Ranger, Johnny Yong Bosch.

Power Rangers was pretty good when I was younger up until around the ninja rangers part. Went downhill after that.

Vash's english voice is awesome. Big Grin Some lines aren't done very well but most are.
I remember when Jaheel White (sp?) aka Steve Urkel did the voice of both american original Sonic cartoons back in the day. There was a version with the "Freedom Fighters" and the other was like a slapstick version of him and sidekick Tails fighting Robotnik and his two henchmen.
Oh yeah, and yes, I believe a lot of the voice actors from the original Ninja Turtles series went on to do a lot of voice acting in a lot of animes. I believe the person that did the voice of Leonardo is still doing voices, he was in Macross:Battlecry the game, and he lists a lot of voices he did in the extras from the game. Michaelangelo, I believe is Isuki's voice in Initial D, and a few other things.
Well when I watched Ronin Warriors when it was on tv Ryos's voice kind of sounded familiar. It isn't until now whe I found out that his voice was done by Matt Hill. He was the same guy that did the voice acting for Captain N and later Keroberos for Card captors. Other voices he did can be found at this link here: Matt Hills other characters
I like the voice dubs that were done the first time for Akira but I feel that the translation used for the more recent release more than makes up for the lower quality of the voice acting.
The original Akira dub kicks arse in my opinion.

The actor for Bobby Hill on King of the Hill is in a couple of animes (I forget which ones). A whole bunch of hollywood voices are in the Transformers Movie. Many of the Ghibli movies have hollywood voices in them. The same voice actor for Jet is the same voice actor for the main character of Black Heaven.
Pages: 1 2