Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Trying to decide on kenshin need help...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
WHats good everyone? I see some have posted asking for guidance on series and i thought i would do the same. I like the more mature series in anime. My current favorites are gungrave, texhnolyze, boogiepop phantom, and EVA. I CANNOT deal with the cutsey bug eyes or comedic anime. I guess its just me but i think that type of anime is hella lame. My question is based onthis would it be worth investing in the kenshin series. I am really intruged by the edo period and samurai fiction and film (lone wolf and cub is THE best manga i have ever read) and i have heard that the kenshin series is faithful to the time period.

The problem is that i purchased the first disk and thought it was total garbage. Too much comedy, too bright, too mmuch bug eyes, etc. I know the principle is non violence in teh series but i cant deal with 95 epidsodes of kenshin tlakin shit for 30 minutes and hten slappin someoen with a swaord, i need to see some arms chopped off decapitations etc. I also purchased the OAV (only trust) and thought it was great. Obviously the series is not as dark as the OAV, but im tryn to figure out if i should take the plunge and ge the TV series or just complete the OAV.

Your thoughts are appreciated and if you could suggest which box set to get, id appreaciate it.
The first movie would probably satisfy you, since he is a bad mother fucker when he kills. And welcome to the forum.
Although I think near the end there starts to be less "Now you shouldn't be a bad guy, that you shouldn't." talk & more fighting & I don't remember there being as much comedy, (it's been a while though), I think at the 2nd season the show gets more serious, but I only kinda liked the second season, & wasn't really satisfyed by the third Sad

The series probably isn't your thing; I just fell in love with Sano & had to finish till the end. As for OVAs, Trust & Betrayl might be right up your alley, maybe the last episode OVA thingy as it's darker, but I don't know about the violence factor as i've never seen it, only heard of it, & then there's the other OVA thingy that's like an additional episode of the series (not the ending) in which Kenshin flashes back to being the Batousai, but he doesn't kill anyone that I remember as he recovers his composer.

A lot that I remember of the series is the whole
Bad Guy: "You must awaken your bloodlust, or I'll kill everyone & rule Japan!!! Muwahahahaha."/"Fight like you're going to kill me or die."
*Kenshin doesn't invoke all his bloodlust, but only barely wins*
Kenshin: "My love is a greater motivation, that it is."
thing.
wow...I had some many typos in my post its like im reading the subtitltes to wolf's rain all over again...

Yeah i actually already have the first OAV (trust) and i really like it, i was trying to decide whether i should get the tv series or just complete the OAV.

If yall could tell me why people are so enthralled with this series it might help me make a decision. And if not kenshin are there any other series out there you could suggest?
annan Wrote:If yall could tell me why people are so enthralled with this series it might help me make a decision. And if not kenshin are there any other series out there you could suggest?

Well, I?d just say drop Kenshin and if you haven't seen Berserk GET IT NOW! I'm actually going to trade my HK of it since I'm about to get the R1's.
annan Wrote:wow...I had some many typos in my post its like im reading the subtitltes to wolf's rain all over again...

Yeah i actually already have the first OAV (trust) and i really like it, i was trying to decide whether i should get the tv series or just complete the OAV.

If yall could tell me why people are so enthralled with this series it might help me make a decision. And if not kenshin are there any other series out there you could suggest?

Like I said, I loved the series becuase of Sano, there are some really good battles that will have you on the edge of your seat, and with 95 episodes there's plenty of time for character development & to let you get attached to each & everyone of them.

As for other stuff try the Ninja Scroll movie, never seen it, but I've heard a lot about it. Swords, sex, & tons of violence.
That's about all that comes to mind at the moment.
Batz Kage Wrote:I think at the 2nd season the show gets more serious, but I only kinda liked the second season, & wasn't really satisfyed by the third Sad

I have to agree with Batz here. The series is kinda vague to me now but I do recall being able to watch the first two-thirds of it in a span of two weeks or so and then the last one-third took well over a month to get through since the intensity died down way way too much. I guess it's good to at least watch the series if you intend to watch Reminiscence with all it's flashbacks. Why did they get serious and mature on the OVAs and kiddy on the series? If they made the series for kids, wouldn't some kids miss out on the OVAs because of the rating due to violence? :confused: If I was a kid and my parents didn't allow me to see the OVAs, I would probably have grudge against the producers for making them so serious.

As for recommendations...I keep hearing that Elfen Lied is good. If I could get past the first 5 minutes of it, I might be able to confirm this. From the first few minutes I can tell this may be the bloodiest series I will have seen. :eek:
Get Berserk.
kakoi_sugoi_yama Wrote:Get Berserk.

Yep! If what you want is a dark, mature series, Berserk is truly the way to go!
Andromeda18_ Wrote:Yep! If what you want is a dark, mature series, Berserk is truly the way to go!
Berserk is real good, but didn't hey just start on the next season? (or did they even start?)
Batz Kage Wrote:Berserk is real good, but didn't hey just start on the next season? (or did they even start?)

Who knows...
If you like gore I strongly suggest GANTZ. One of the best anime to come out recently. Also if you have not indulged in X, You had better. No cute stuff there. I love an unhappy ending more than the happy. Please check them out I know you will love them both! Big Grin Kenshin Rocks Like Metal Church. Give it a sporting chance. Big Grin