Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Phantom of the opera
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I am sorry if this topic is completly uninteresting to everyone here but I was not sure if I am alone in my liking for broadway, and even more so for movies based on plays. Mainly for the more recent Chicago movie and Moulon Rouge. Today I watched the phantom of the opera movie and I enjoyed it very much but my sister pointed out that the story was not that of the original movie with Lon Cheney. I never saw the play the phantom of the opera or read the old book for that matter. Does anyone here have any opinion of these movies or plays. And please if you have not seen them in any form dont post just to sayt something nasty.
I've never seen any of the plays, not for a lack of interest but for a lack of opportunity. I have seen the movies though and I absolutely loved the Phantom of the Opera. The music, the settings, the colours, the mysterious feel... everything was perfect. I do think some singing moments were a little too long but it didn't ruin the movie for me in any way. I also enjoyed Chicago very much. I love jazz dance so watching the movie was quite a treat for me. I was also rather amused by the interesting story and characters.
Now, Moulin Rouge I didn't like as much. I can't say I disliked it but I didn't love it either. The whole movie just didn't do it for me, not like the other two did. I have to admit I loved the settings though.
Yes I know what you mean about the singing being a little long, ( when the phantom was singing to Christine the first time he brought her down to the catacombs). For about 4 hours after I watched the movie I couldn't get the phantoms theme out of my head. I don't much care for Richard Gear (I dont know how to spell his last name) but I thought he along with all the other actors were superb in Chicago. I do sugest seeing some play or another its a great experience, I saw Le Miserable about 8 times before it closed.
geo85 Wrote:I do sugest seeing some play or another its a great experience, I saw Le Miserable about 8 times before it closed.

Easier said than done. You see we don't get many plays of that kind around here so there's not much I can do.
saw the Phantom movie... 3 hours of my live i will never get back, best part of the movie was the theme when Phantom and that chick meet
Hey andromeda, I am not sure if you know but some plays have special broadcast versions. During a performance they record it and I think you can get them on dvd I will search for you if you want, thats about as close as you can get to being there. Did you notice how astoundingly similar Gerald Butlers (the phantom) singing voice is to the guy who did the singing for Jack skelington in nightmare before Christmas. I know the guy who sang for Jack is a famous movie music composer I dont remember his name. They sounded almost exactly the same, if they sang the same song I am sure youd think it was the same person.
P.S.-If you are ever in NY go see a play, you wont regret it.
Now that you mention it I think you're right, they do sound alike. I'm a huge fan of Tim Burton and I don't think I could love The Nightmare Before Christmas more. That movie is imbued with Christmas spirit!
If you know a website where I can play dvds of those plays please let me know. I really like them but most of the plays here are of experimental theater.
Although I like broadway shows, I don't watch movie versions. Most of them are crap, and the broadway shows just don't work very well in movie format. You have to see them live to truly feel the show. I've seen many good ones, and some of my favorites are Phantom of the Opera, Jekyll and Hyde, Once upon a Matress, Wizard of OZ, Footloose,and Into the Woods. Once upon a Matress was funny, and Into the woods were wicked. Cats were overated. I almost fell asleep during the show.
My favorite broadway is RENT. And they're actually turning that into a movie. I personally think RENT will work better as a movie than on broadway. I LOVED the broadway version, but the scenes are more easily differentiated as a movie.

BTW, I thought Phatom of the Opera in the movie theatre was spectacular. Joel Schumacher did an awesome job transcribing it to film (although I heard he never seen the play before he directed it).
Have you seen team america, they totally rip on Rent with the parody Lease where they just say aids, eveyone has aids over and over, I love that movie. Have any of you seen Les Miserable, come on its one of the all time greatest. I found a lot of movie versions of Les miserable but could only find an old recorded stage version from like the 70's with Ian Holm on dvdempire. They have a lot of versions of the phantom as well.
*bump*

Yeah, I've only seen the movie versions of Les Miserables, which are the ones based on the book, not the musical (although they still cut out Eponine in the movie with Liam Nielson).

I have the broadway soundtrack, and it's definitely one of my faves.

BTW... For all of you RENTHEADS!!!!

Here's the movie trailer..... I think I just orgasmed while watching it. =9

http://progressive.stream.aol.com/aol/us..._01_dl.mov