Import Anime Forums

Full Version: DVD compression problems? Why?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Now that i've gotten into burning dvd's and using the dvd shrink program i've become extremely confused. Why do the HK companies have problems putting 9 episodes into a dvd 9 at times? Why does the picture go to crap? I've just successully ripped a few FX discs and put them onto a dvd 5 and they work perfectly. If I can put their dvd 9 discs onto a dvd 5 why should they EVER have problems putting episodes onto a dvd 9.

Another question, why does hollywood put so many movies that could easily fit on a single layer disc onto a duel layer. Almost every disc out there being sold on R1 is put ona duel layer, even movies that are less than 4.7g's big.

Anyone have any answers? I'm greatly confused. Plus, isn't factory pressing supposed to be better than home burning? How is it I can do a better job with a burner and a couple programs than people with factories pressing the discs?
Cidien Wrote:1) Now that i've gotten into burning dvd's and using the dvd shrink program i've become extremely confused. Why do the HK companies have problems putting 9 episodes into a dvd 9 at times? Why does the picture go to crap? I've just successully ripped a few FX discs and put them onto a dvd 5 and they work perfectly. If I can put their dvd 9 discs onto a dvd 5 why should they EVER have problems putting episodes onto a dvd 9.

2)Another question, why does hollywood put so many movies that could easily fit on a single layer disc onto a duel layer. Almost every disc out there being sold on R1 is put ona duel layer, even movies that are less than 4.7g's big.

3)Anyone have any answers? I'm greatly confused. Plus, isn't factory pressing supposed to be better than home burning? How is it I can do a better job with a burner and a couple programs than people with factories pressing the discs?
1) That's because people at FX were not very good at handling video. In fact, A lot of pixelation could've been avoided with better encoding. That's why often times, MAC had better video than FX. FX were good at making menus and stuff, but they didn't know too much about video transfer.

2) There is no logic in what Hollywood does. I see it as equivalent to putting only 40 minutes of music in a CD that can hold 80 minutes. Besides, the production cost of DVDs is minimal for Hollywood. Not much price difference for them whether it's D5 or D9. And actually, they still use a lot of DVD5.

3) It's digital. That means either it works or it doesn't work. Factory discs or home-made discs will have exact same qualities as long as DVD player can read. That's what digital data means. There is no loss of quality. However, many players cannot read home-made discs. And it's a lot easier to damage home-made discs, and they will deteriorate faster.

And Cidien, maybe you should start a new company that replaces FX. It sounds like you already surpassed the people at FX for video-handling skills. Can we expect some new releases from you? Big Grin
DVD Shrink works miracles doesn't it? It's the best program for DVD compressing and burning out there, and it's free! However, it needs to be used along with Nero or any other commercial burning program.

Anywho, I feel ya Cidien. Indeed a lot of DVD-9s are used instead of DVD-5s for movies less than 4.7 gigs.. which is odd, since a number of people here seem to complain when their HK sets include a mixture of DVD-9s and DVD-5s or just simply, DVD-5s. O_o

Their ignorance is our benefit. I have a feeling that if DVD makers of movies were using DVD-5s, we'd have a lot of people arguing about that too. -_-

As for HK animes and their compressing issues, I completely agree with hbk101. What you say makes a lot of sense. With codecs making it easier, space efficient and just as clear quality to rip animes, why isn't FX doing just that? And even worse, then when I try to take their DVD-9s and burn it onto a single layer disc, it's horrible in quality.. -__-

Either way, I still hope FX comes back and for MAC to prosper. *fingers crossed*
there is a good deal of difference what you do..

HK companys Re-encode all the video and htey normally do it at a set bitrate so no matter if it don't need alot of bitrate or high motion that do don't get it..

Your actually using a process of transcoding the video.. Its taking bits of the video that are not as needed and shifting stuff to reduce the video down.. Your actually not Re-encoding it which will always turn into worse quality.. Unless you do tricks to smoothen the video out but your still loosing quality.. its like a photo copies no matter what a copy of something will not be the same.. thats what re-encoding is like..

But thats the great thing of the digital world is that you can Copy directly without any quality loss from just disc to disc.

Also Hollywood could put alot of thigns on Dvd5 but they go for a certain quality and sometimes with all the extra's and stuff it will come out to like 6gigs so they place it onto a dvd9 instead of shinking it more. I perfer having my video max quality.. And with really good tv's you can somewhat notice a difference..

and hbk is correct with the pressing.. what the HK companys do is make a Master copy kinda like you making a burnt copy and then the presses create dvd's outta this copy so it doesn't matter what type of disc its on.. its exact as the master. or as what you have burnt. So niether is better qualtiy well except for life expectance and avoidance to getting damaged.. Your burnt copys will probably only last 3-5 years (in average)

P.S. In the end and simple put like hbk, HK companys suck at encoding.
t03knee btw if you like DVD Shink but have the latest nero also.. Load up Nero Recode.. Ahead hired the developer of DVD Shink to develop Recode 2. So it has alot of the same that your use to and its newer but from the same guy .. ;o)
hbk101 Wrote:1)

And Cidien, maybe you should start a new company that replaces FX. It sounds like you already surpassed the people at FX for video-handling skills. Can we expect some new releases from you? Big Grin

Ya know if I loved in HK i'd think about it. Wink

"DVD Shrink works miracles doesn't it? It's the best program for DVD compressing and burning out there, and it's free! However, it needs to be used along with Nero or any other commercial burning program."

You can get the full version of nero free too. Torrentspy.com is awesome.

Also, how will my dvd-r's only last for about 3-5 years? As long as the metal or whatever it's written on isn't exposed it should be fine shouldn't it?

Just thought of this, but if every 3 years you transferred it to a new disc it should continue to work perfectly shouldn't it? Still don't understand the whole dvd rot thing though. Sad
Alright I just did a ton of dvd rot reading. It seems most people claiming dvd rot is real are full of crap or have no real evidence to back it up. The only case of dvd rot was in australia and that was because the company was making them like they made vcd's which had the same problem.

The problem is delamination or whatever it's called when the layers seperate. From everything i've read and the stress tests they've done as long as you don't keep your dvd's out in the open or treat them poorly they should be fine. Even out in a humid day in the bright sunlight one test reported the dvd's lasted anywhere from 800-2500 hours. The life and quality seems to depend on the brand. If you want to be safer pay the extra and buy a good name brand, not some super cheap dvds from a company you've never heard of off ebay.
t03knee Wrote:As for HK animes and their compressing issues, I completely agree with hbk101. What you say makes a lot of sense. With codecs making it easier, space efficient and just as clear quality to rip animes, why isn't FX doing just that?

Eh? With codecs making it easyer to what? Why isn't FX doing what? The only compression format they can use is MPEG2. What you want them to use XviD or something?

t03knee Wrote:And even worse, then when I try to take their DVD-9s and burn it onto a single layer disc, it's horrible in quality.. -__-

Are you serious? You are taking an FX disc and compressing it to DVD-5? FX discs are mostly 2 DVD-9 discs compressed and stuck onto one DVD-9 and you want to compress that down again and complain about the quality lol!?
gubi-gubi Wrote:Eh? With codecs making it easyer to what? Why isn't FX doing what? The only compression format they can use is MPEG2. What you want them to use XviD or something?

Are you serious? You are taking an FX disc and compressing it to DVD-5? FX discs are mostly 2 DVD-9 discs compressed and stuck onto one DVD-9 and you want to compress that down again and complain about the quality lol!?

Actually i'm doing that and it's working just fine. Quality is the same as the fx disc. Most fx discs are actually only about 6-7 gigs for the 9 eps.
the discs i have ripped are ~ 8gigs though they are the GTO ones..
Why not just rip the episodes uncompressed to two discs? 9 eps of anything on dvd-5 is never good...
gubi-gubi Wrote:Why not just rip the episodes uncompressed to two discs? 9 eps of anything on dvd-5 is never good...

Read my lips. Watching? It works just fine. :p
Cidien Wrote:Read my lips. Watching? It works just fine. :p

You sound like MAC. What is their 'special' method of compression? Big Grin
Difference is MAC is run by retards. I've already watched a few of my dvd 5 burned dvds from the dvd 9's. They. Work. Fine.
No offense then you really don't knwo what to look for.. I rip regular CSI dvd's to DVD5 and i sure as hell can tell the quailty loss in them.. See'ing macro blocks in the video and noise around certain parts.. NO matter waht the qualty will always be worse if you reencode / transcode.. But if you are happy with it then nothing wrong with that.. But then i just don't wanna hear any complaints about poor quaily from MAC or other rips since you are satisfied with even worse.. *Grin* Big Grin
Pages: 1 2