Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Xbox online help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey, i'm very stupid when it comes to hardware setup and I can't find any simple explanations online when I search - so I hope someone here can help. My question is simple, what do I need to play games online with my xbox?

My computer runs on wireless cable with everything upstairs, don't know if that matters. :confused: Seems like it might from what i've read but again I don't know jack about computer hardware. Any help would be appreciated. If you need any more info let me know. Thanks!
Apart from the actual xbox live subscription you need to connect your xbox to a broadband modem. Most people use routers and ethernet cable but microsoft has released a wirless router for the xbox, but I am not sure how far you can be from the router. I am pretty sure you would be able to find a wireless router that can receive signal on a different floor. But it would be much easier if your xbox and modem were on the same floor. You could find microsofts xboxlive router on amazon.
to get a wireless set up...dont buy the regualar MS wireless kit, if you got to geeks.com or something you can find something verry similar for 20 bucks, it will plug into the network interface on the xbox, and have wireless transmitter that should connect automatically to your wireless router (keep in mind i said should, if you do this and it doesnt work, i dont want you whining to me)...i would reccamend xbox live, but if your like me and a cheap ass, there is a free option called xbox connect, the only problem i have with it, is it only works with games that have system link...you will also need to have your computer on when connecting to it since it kindof bridges the gap so to speak, it saposadly works through all routers...except mine
Well you would need and extra wireless reciever between your modem and computer but having that and using the m$ adapter will allow you to play on xbox live downstairs with your computer upstairs. And seriously xboxlive is only $40 a year, thats not bad at all.
Not meaning to be repetitive but at $40 a year xbox live costs only .109 cents a day. If thats too expensive then you should get a job.
40 a year isnt expensive...though it is for how often i play online xbox games...thats about 20 bucks per session
Alright I got it set up, but I can't log into xbox live. I called my dad who just left for a week =/ and he said it's cuz he doesn't allow it to do anything yet. I asked if he could explain how I can do that but being the ass he is when it comes to crap like that he said no. Anyone know how I can set it so I can use it from his computer? If a password is needed i'm pretty sure I know it. I'm sure that's the main reason he won't let me do it, he thinks I don't know his passwords. If it's not that then I just have no clue how to do it lol.