Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Stupid stores buying bootlegs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just curious if everyone else sees stupid stores that buy bootlegs. I see em fairly often here in fargo. I've seen FX, MAC, MI and even HOMEMADE bootlegs being sold. I really wanted to ask because tonight I went to the take 2 rental store and saw a .hack dvd that doesn't even exist here in America. Not only this but it was "New" with a homemade shrink wrap and had really no artwork, it was a piece of paper with the title on it. I couldn't believe someone was dumb enough to actually buy this and put it on sale in their store. I can see someone who doesn't know anything about boots to buy an FX set or something, but this just made me wanna walk up to the counter and smack someone.

Perhaps just as bad is at the take2 video outlet I often find FX sets. I've told them they are illegal, how to spot them and what they are worth. However they just keep popping up in the store selling 3 disc sets for like $40. They're really starting to piss me off, because now they know they aren't supposed to sell those but they still do anyways. Wonder what would happen if the police were tipped? Anyone know? I love the store so I wouldn't dream of it, but I still wonder what would happen...
Cidien Wrote:Just curious if everyone else sees stupid stores that buy bootlegs. I see em fairly often here in fargo. I've seen FX, MAC, MI and even HOMEMADE bootlegs being sold. I really wanted to ask because tonight I went to the take 2 rental store and saw a .hack dvd that doesn't even exist here in America. Not only this but it was "New" with a homemade shrink wrap and had really no artwork, it was a piece of paper with the title on it. I couldn't believe someone was dumb enough to actually buy this and put it on sale in their store. I can see someone who doesn't know anything about boots to buy an FX set or something, but this just made me wanna walk up to the counter and smack someone.

Perhaps just as bad is at the take2 video outlet I often find FX sets. I've told them they are illegal, how to spot them and what they are worth. However they just keep popping up in the store selling 3 disc sets for like $40. They're really starting to piss me off, because now they know they aren't supposed to sell those but they still do anyways. Wonder what would happen if the police were tipped? Anyone know? I love the store so I wouldn't dream of it, but I still wonder what would happen...

LMAO Ive seen two sets one was an FX the other im not sure at a resale store. Than I found some new sets at a store brand new FX among other companies but they were selling them for $50 for a three disc set. I shoulda asked them for more information just to see how clueless the employees are. Big Grin
I once saw some MI versions of the Cowboy Bebop movie at a pawn shop right next to copies of the real thing.

There is an import toy store in Portland that sells hugely overpriced MAC and MI sets. They also have pretty much every older non English dub MI set for rent.
I've only seen some hentai boots being sold over here in a store and they looked profesional so I don't blame them. But in eastern european countries its as bad as China. Bootlegs of everything everywhere.

Honestly I don't know why you get so worked up about it. Aslong as they are sold for a reasonable price it should be none of your business. Sure its illegal but who doesn't do anything illegal nowadays. They probably bought the sets from here anyway Big Grin
An anime shop that I go to alot, all of their DVDs are bootlegs, I dont know if they know it or not. I didnt know if I should be the one to tell them. Across the street is a place called the Great Wall Mall, and they have an anime store in there too. They rent and sell anime, almost all of it is R1's, but for some reason they have a shelf full of bootlegs. Though, all of the bootlegs there were shows that hadnt been released in the US yet, so they prob thought they were just imports.
elcoholic Wrote:I've only seen some hentai boots being sold over here in a store and they looked profesional so I don't blame them. But in eastern european countries its as bad as China. Bootlegs of everything everywhere.

So true. I lived in Russia for a couple of years in St. Petersburg and Kaliningrad and you were hard pressed to find a legit copy of anything anywhere. There was like ONE legit music store and everything was super expensive.

Bootlegging was outrageously rampant. People would sell tapes with plain white computer printed labels of everything. CD's, VHS, any movie or album you wanted. The day it was released in the states the $1 version was on the shelf in every CD/VHS kiosk at every metro station.

It was awesome. Big Grin
rarnom Wrote:Bootlegging was outrageously rampant. People would sell tapes with plain white computer printed labels of everything. CD's, VHS, any movie or album you wanted. The day it was released in the states the $1 version was on the shelf in every CD/VHS kiosk at every metro station.

It was awesome. Big Grin

Ha ha ha. Big Grin
elcoholic Wrote:I've only seen some hentai boots being sold over here in a store and they looked profesional so I don't blame them. But in eastern european countries its as bad as China. Bootlegs of everything everywhere.

Honestly I don't know why you get so worked up about it. Aslong as they are sold for a reasonable price it should be none of your business. Sure its illegal but who doesn't do anything illegal nowadays. They probably bought the sets from here anyway Big Grin

Because it's a little more serious when stores in the U.S. sell boots, and chances are most stores wouldn't have bought them from people if they knew they were boots.
I am going to the Chicago chinatown on tuesday of next week. I hope I can pick up some fairly priced Hks. I saw a .hack//sign MI (subbed only) set for like 60 bucks in new york chinatown........ i am like WTF...............
You do realize that all the HK releases are considered bootlegs, right. Or do you just buy the R1's. I would love to get the offical R1's of anime releases here in the sates but they are insanely over priced. So Ill stick with the HK release. The only problem I would have with stores selling them is that the HK's might get too much notice and the ripper in Hong Kong will get shut down. I hope not. Well later.
Not all R1 anime is insanely overpriced. Rightstuf usually has amazing deals, and also with animenation. You just have to take some time and look for the deals..... I've been doing that and I bought anime r1s at a really great price (for example: his and her circumstances 5 dvd boxset- 39.99, dnangel vol.1/w box 25.99, here is greenwood 9.99, marmalade boy vol.1- 19.99/NEW on ebay and it retails over 70 bucks. See, there are deals out there, u just need to look for them.
I don't see how these stores function. First off the scanner must go crazy cuz every HK set has the same barcode. Besides that it should be obvious to them that if there is even the slightest hint that a product is a bootleg someone could report them and have the store shut-down quick. Some people are dumb by choice others are dumb by nature. I'm sure both of those are used to explain selling boots thinking they are real.
tsunami Wrote:First off the scanner must go crazy cuz every HK set has the same barcode.

Hahahaha.

I agree with Kiruyuki. There are R1 deals to be had if you take your time and if you know where to look.
tsunami Wrote:I don't see how these stores function. First off the scanner must go crazy cuz every HK set has the same barcode. Besides that it should be obvious to them that if there is even the slightest hint that a product is a bootleg someone could report them and have the store shut-down quick. Some people are dumb by choice others are dumb by nature. I'm sure both of those are used to explain selling boots thinking they are real.

Most secondhand stores don't scan the barcode. They look at the dvd and give you a price. The ONLY place in all of Fargo I see scan the barcodes is Media play. Oh, Software Etc. too I guess but they rip you off bad.....
I have seen a few resale places up in my area that have the HK titles they have taken them, and then turned around and tried to sell them at the same price a used R1 would go for. I don't think the people that are working at places like this for the most part know what the difference is between R1 R2 HK ect most people at places that buy used DVDs are high school kids working part time jobs, dont fault them because the management probably hasent trained them properly
Pages: 1 2