Import Anime Forums

Full Version: DVD burning software Help!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Schultz Wrote:IMHO way better then CloneDVD or any of those dvdxcopy crap..

DVD Shrink is good, until you get a disk that is just over the size limit or just won't compress far enough... then DVD Shrink won't burn it... whereas X Copy will... like the Studio Ghibli by AS, or I can give you quite a list of others that X Copy did that DVD Shrink wouldn't.

I am really surprised that no one has mentioned the most important program to have in the first place... *cough*AnyDVD*cough*
Blight Wrote:Hey don't worry about it, I'm just glad I'm not the only one who gets in trouble still (like when I stay out till 3 AM w/o calling.)

Just stayed at my girlfriends house without calling cuz I was drunk Sunday night. Ya... parents didn't like that one... lol.
Amethyst Wrote:DVD Shrink is good, until you get a disk that is just over the size limit or just won't compress far enough... then DVD Shrink won't burn it... whereas X Copy will... like the Studio Ghibli by AS, or I can give you quite a list of others that X Copy did that DVD Shrink wouldn't.

I am really surprised that no one has mentioned the most important program to have in the first place... *cough*AnyDVD*cough*

So... whats anydvd do that these programs don't?
AnyDVD is not needed at all when you use DVD Decryptor.. what AnyDVD does is it removes the CSS encryption on the fly which cuts out the DVD Decrytor part.. But if you just use DVD Decrypter and rip the files to your harddrive and then use any of the furhter mentioned tools you don't need AnyDVD at all..

and DVD Shrink will do any encode its all about how much quality you want.. i hate dvdxcopy or any of those as i hated 1 dvd -> 2 dvd rips which those programs do.. While DVD Shrink, Nero Recode, CloneDVD are all transcoding programs designed to go from 1 dvd to 1 dvd transcoding it to fit.
I prefer to copy from the original disk to a blank disk and skip the writing to the hard drive and then writing it out to disk. Hey, I'm all about automating the process... and not having to sit at the computer and change disks in between while it does it...

DVD Decrypter is good for copying DVDR's... you can tell it to ignore read errors... which DVD Shrink, CloneDVD and DVDXCopy will just hang on... which is why you'll find that it will become your best friend.... CloneDVD isn't always a good choice for copying DVDR's, because some of the time the menu's won't work on the copies...

Just be prepared, because at some point you are going to run into a disk that just won't copy, it will play just fine... but even DVD Decrypter won't work on it.
See personally i do it totally differently.. I rip the disc's as ISO's and generally i do them in batches.. So i will use dvd decrypter and rip 6 discs to iso's onto my harddrive and then mount them using Daemon tools into a vitual dvd drive and then use Nero Recode on them. and do them one after another.. and with the latest release i haven't came accross a disc that dvd decrypter could never rip..
Schultz Wrote:See personally i do it totally differently.. I rip the disc's as ISO's and generally i do them in batches.. So i will use dvd decrypter and rip 6 discs to iso's onto my harddrive and then mount them using Daemon tools into a vitual dvd drive and then use Nero Recode on them. and do them one after another.. and with the latest release i haven't came accross a disc that dvd decrypter could never rip..

laugh.. I have... I had a Street Fighter V HK set that decrypter kept erroring out on I think the 2nd disk... and one of the HK Studio Ghibli sets (Porco Rosso & Kikki's) and I've got a dvdr of Generator Gawl it won't touch either... well.. if you didn't want to wait 3 weeks for... But the HK ones could be attributed to a bad pressing or bad spot on the disks I suppose) Problem is with my set up, it will just lock up the computer and not transfer anything so I have to restart it... now my hubby has the same set up, but his doesn't lock up... and I've had 2 dvdr's of Hikaru no Go we've written out that decrypter took 2 weeks to do one vob file, but there was too many errors and the copies were either missing an episode or just wouldn't play the episode... solution to that was to re-encode and re-write them out... haven't quite got it done yet but we got the avi's for them now... so it will just take the time to do it. We've also gotten into the habit of keeping the avi files...

I've also found that the older versions of decrypter seem to work better with XP... mine anyway shrug... I've got 2 different versions of decrypter I switch between... hubby says his is better because he only has the 1 drive, whereas I have a dvd reader drive and a writer drive... I keep saying it's a cable connection problem because it gives me an I/O error and sometimes it works perfectly and sometimes it just doesn't want to read the disk either drive... course most of those are dvdr's... but since it's not a major problem... laugh.. I haven't insisted it get fixed yet... I just haul disks in there and say you do it!! laugh... (I'm waiting for him to bring me in a stack of disks and say you label them!! you know, they'd probably get done faster if I did!! laugh)
Alright thanks guys for your help. I'm new to DVD/CD burning it probably take a few tries before I'll get the hang of it lol. :p
Amethyst Wrote:DVD Shrink is good, until you get a disk that is just over the size limit or just won't compress far enough... then DVD Shrink won't burn it... whereas X Copy will... like the Studio Ghibli by AS, or I can give you quite a list of others that X Copy did that DVD Shrink wouldn't.

The newest version of DVD Shrink has support for DL DVDR builtin so no problemo!
Burned quite a few now and several 2 1/2 - 2 3/4 hour long movies and every one has been compressed by dvd shrink just fine. Seems like a great program to me.
Pages: 1 2