Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Brothers in Arms
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So... has anyone else been playing the best WWII shooter ever made?

It's the only strategic/realistic shooter I've played that has gotten me away from Rainbow Six for any amount of time... and it deserves every rave review it's received.

Playing on "Authentic" mode... with no checkpoints, and no crosshair, however... will make you smash everything within throwing distance in frustration... but, a good kind of frustration. Wink
I'm dl-ing it now. It looks good and the reviews really make me want to play this game.

Have you played it online? If so how is it?
I'm waiting for the PC version. And even then, I hope my system can handle it (i've been playing Republic Commando relatively fine, so i shouldn't have THAT many problems)

The thing is, the x-box is the only version out in english (don't tell me about downloading the crappy PAL version, well its not crappy if you live in europe. but its crappy for everyone else outside of those countries). So i'll just wait til next week for the PC one.
Is there a difference between the PAL one and the US one? Their both in english.
PAL is in 50hz which doesn't work on NTSC systems (which are in 60hz), and if you patch it, the screen doesn't fit, and the audio is out of sync. So I just ignore PAL releases.

The only ones I get are the ones that never come out here, and alot of the times, they seem to have 50/60hz selectors in them anyway
elcoholic Wrote:I'm dl-ing it now. It looks good and the reviews really make me want to play this game.

Have you played it online? If so how is it?

The online is actually the most surprising component of the game, for me... it's different than anything I've played before.

You can play 2 Vs. 2 or 1 vs. 1... where you each control AI squads against eachother. So, it feels like a larger battle than it really is.. and you have to get good at outflanking humans commanding squads against your squads.

If you get killed, you can assume the role of one of the AI squad members... or call in backup until whatever pre-defined amount of reinforcements runs out.

The strategy of supress and flank becomes second nature in the single player, but is so much harder when you're going up against other humans commanding the opposing squads.
I've played it now and it looks amazing. The atmosphere is great and you really feel a sort of tension when your flanking someone. Only I suck at it. The enemy AI is so good that they still see me before I see them. I don't think I've ever seen such good AI in a console game. The graphics and sound are also very good on the ps2 (even though its the crappy pal version :p ) and it really feels like a war when your in a battle with some wel covered enemy's. I personally don't like the zoomed in view because the rifles barrel takes up to much space on the screen but its still the only way to accuratly hit an enemy. You have to aim through the small metal thing on the end of your barrel which is to small.

I've read some descriptions of the online gameplay and it sounds difficult. I think you'll need to fully memorise the levels before you can become good at it. There's multiple ways to do everything it seems.
elcoholic Wrote:I've played it now and it looks amazing. The atmosphere is great and you really feel a sort of tension when your flanking someone. Only I suck at it. The enemy AI is so good that they still see me before I see them. I don't think I've ever seen such good AI in a console game. The graphics and sound are also very good on the ps2 (even though its the crappy pal version :p ) and it really feels like a war when your in a battle with some wel covered enemy's. I personally don't like the zoomed in view because the rifles barrel takes up to much space on the screen but its still the only way to accuratly hit an enemy. You have to aim through the small metal thing on the end of your barrel which is to small.

I've read some descriptions of the online gameplay and it sounds difficult. I think you'll need to fully memorise the levels before you can become good at it. There's multiple ways to do everything it seems.

Don't worry... I sucked at first, too, and now I'm doing the ol' suppress and flank like it's second nature. Unless it is different from the Xbox ntsc version, you should be able to enable cross-hairs in the options menu, so that you aren't required to zoom in to hit targets. A lot of purists will call you horrible things for taking that hardcore aspect away.. but I found it necessary to do until I felt more comfortable with squad commands and flanking techniques.

The multiplayer does play differently, in that you never know what the other team is cooking up... however, you should only need some good practice at squad commanding in the single player to jump into it. Ending up with a good team-mate, also helps, as you'll get stomped on if you don't co-operate and communicate well.
My brother is picking up the PC version of this, and Act of War today after work. So i'm pretty hyped n_n