Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Did anyone watch the Contender Monday?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyway, Monday night watching the Contender co-hosted by Sugar Ray and Sylvester Stallone turned out to be a lot better than I thought, and I despise reality TV. I first thought it would be like WWE's Tough Enough where they get scrubs who think they're all cool just because they make themselves look like douche's in front of a camera. When in fact, most of the guys in the video happen to be established boxers who are trying to win a million bucks and a title shot. I really like the teamwork and competition it has and it tends to show a more realistic look at the sport since these guys are real boxers. So far living in the west, I figure I cheer for the west team :p . I was behind Alfonso Gomez the whole way and he fought a guy who was undefeated, Peter Mandredo, Jr..

Here is my score card based off Gomez's and Manfredo's fight
Gomez:10-9-10-10-10 49
Manfredo:9-10-9-10-9 47

As you can see, Manfredo dominated round 2 and it really started to look ugly for Gomez who really turned things around. And round 4 really was a truly even one. I thought Mandredo was going to dominate in the 5th round but it looks like it was Gomez in the end. Anyway, it was a really great fight. I really loved the build up to their fight as well. Gomez was previously 10-2, and Mandredo was 21-0. The press conference they had pretty much summed up things. The black guy on the west coast team said Manfredo's record is based off fighting guys on the east coast and said that the west coast has more hardcore fighters (then again, the east coast produced great champs like Rocky Marciano and Mike Tyson). But Manfredo put up a good fight.