Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Networking and scary job interviews
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Eek. I met this guy on the train last week, and after talking about jobs and resumes for a while we traded phone numbers. He called me tonight, and told me that he had found a bartending interview for me tomorrow at 'The Monkey Bar'(he's friends with the manager). Which is attached to NYC's Hotel Elysee, the type of hotel where rooms go for $250-365 a night. This place is far fancier than the type of bar that I expected to work at, which was more a t-shirt and jeans beer and shot type place. I am not at all prepared for this. Tomorrow I need to pick up my suit from the cleaners, get my hair cut, get a job counseler to help me get my resume in order, hopefully jump behind a bar and practice for a while, and learn to use the NYC subway system, before a sometime between 3&5 appointment with a guy named Vladimir. The tips I can make off of a glass of insanely overpriced cognac or wine may be amazing, but I don't know that my 40 hour certificate course and 6 hours real bar experience have me ready for someplace so classy. But I'm probably overthinking it. I wish I could show up with alcohol on my breath because I always do better socially with a little relaxer. Hmm, I wonder if the guy I met is really friendly and helpfull, or just gay like all the other men who have offered me "jobs". Guess I'll just have to cross my fingers.
Great for you.

As far as bartending goes isn't it easier to work at a fancy place? I mean working in a club or something and you'll be happy to be able to stand on your feet at the end of a night. Thats HARD work. But giving senior citizens a drink which takes them 2 hours to finish before they need a refill isn't all that hard is it :p . You just have to watch your language and attitude. Always speak with two words and keep a straight back and you'll be fine.

Just checked the link. Is indeed a fancy place. Looks like fun.
WandererX12 Wrote:Eek. I met this guy on the train last week, and after talking about jobs and resumes for a while we traded phone numbers. He called me tonight, and told me that he had found a bartending interview for me tomorrow at 'The Monkey Bar'(he's friends with the manager). Which is attached to NYC's Hotel Elysee, the type of hotel where rooms go for $250-365 a night. This place is far fancier than the type of bar that I expected to work at, which was more a t-shirt and jeans beer and shot type place. I am not at all prepared for this. Tomorrow I need to pick up my suit from the cleaners, get my hair cut, get a job counseler to help me get my resume in order, hopefully jump behind a bar and practice for a while, and learn to use the NYC subway system, before a sometime between 3&5 appointment with a guy named Vladimir. The tips I can make off of a glass of insanely overpriced cognac or wine may be amazing, but I don't know that my 40 hour certificate course and 6 hours real bar experience have me ready for someplace so classy. But I'm probably overthinking it. I wish I could show up with alcohol on my breath because I always do better socially with a little relaxer. Hmm, I wonder if the guy I met is really friendly and helpfull, or just gay like all the other men who have offered me "jobs". Guess I'll just have to cross my fingers.

Well I couldn't be a bartender or a waitress if my life depended on it so the only thing I can say is Good Luck! Try staying calm and everything will be fine. Wink
Good luck dude. I hope you get it Smile
Andromeda18_ Wrote:Well I couldn't be a bartender or a waitress if my life depended on it so the only thing I can say is Good Luck! Try staying calm and everything will be fine. Wink

being a bartender is AWESOME
but depends where you work.. you meet so many people and have loads of interseting sometimes frightning conversations
but it all depends on where and when you work! Big Grin

oh and good luck wanderer Big Grin
My old roomate did bartending in New York over summer vacation from college. She was a broker but said she could make more from tips in New York bartending. She didn't have any experience in bartending so did some part-time during term time so she could get her summer set up.

That place looks like a goldmine so good luck to you. Smile
I went and talked with Vladimir and it seemed to go well. He's only an assistant manager or somthing like that though, and told me that I would have to wait untill next Tuesday when the GM returns to find out. Part of me took that as them blowing me off, but nothing about his attitude while we talked gave that impression so I don't know. As for the tips, they should be quite nice, but I really wish the place was closer to home. Never did figure out the subway, crappy map, worse assistance from the teller lady, so I walked. It wasn't far enough past my stop to warrant paying extra anyway. Thanks for the luck everyone.
rav96 Wrote:being a bartender is AWESOME
but depends where you work.. you meet so many people and have loads of interseting sometimes frightning conversations
but it all depends on where and when you work! Big Grin

oh and good luck wanderer Big Grin

I believe you but it's just that I'm completely inept as far as that sort of work goes. Big Grin
it doesnt take long to learn Big Grin

and if your generally an outgoing individual then its second nature Wink or in my case "was" Sad
rav96 Wrote:and if your generally an outgoing individual then its second nature Wink or in my case "was" Sad

Most of my friends would tell you I am an outgoing person. The few who known me very, very well would tell you I can be very shy. I suppose both are true, I'm shy but I don't look it, so I guess I can't really figure out if it is my second nature or not. :p