Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Full Metal Alchemist for PS2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Today, I bought the game Full Metal Alchemist, for PS2.
As fo yet, I havent gotten the chance to play it yet, what with studying and all.

So I was wondering who here has played it, and their opinions on it.

Personally, I absolutely loved the series, and I'm hoping that the game won't ruin my view on things.
I beat the japanese version of this game a year ago, and just recently picked up the US release (39.99 canadian at best buy n_n).

I've already put an hour into it, and enjoy it greatly. It reminds me alot of brave fencer musashi, in its gameplay and stuff. And the graphics are quite vibrant and colourful.

My only complaints is that i can SWEAR the japanese version was full voiced, and it's anime cutscenes were of a MUCH higher quality (pretty much they WERE dvd quality. while the US version is all grainy looking). They also removed the opening video and song, and replaced it with some game video and some anime compilation.

But those are only minor complaints, that don't ruin the game at all.

I also really like how funny this game. Since i've never seen much of the anime, i never knew the full personalities of the characters. But i love them in the game.

My final gripe, is that this game is QUITE dated, and there's already been a sequel out in japan (which DESTROYS this game by the way. since i've beat that one already as well :p ).
desfunk Wrote:I beat the japanese version of this game a year ago, and just recently picked up the US release (39.99 canadian at best buy n_n).

I've already put an hour into it, and enjoy it greatly. It reminds me alot of brave fencer musashi, in its gameplay and stuff. And the graphics are quite vibrant and colourful.

My only complaints is that i can SWEAR the japanese version was full voiced, and it's anime cutscenes were of a MUCH higher quality (pretty much they WERE dvd quality. while the US version is all grainy looking). They also removed the opening video and song, and replaced it with some game video and some anime compilation.

But those are only minor complaints, that don't ruin the game at all.

I also really like how funny this game. Since i've never seen much of the anime, i never knew the full personalities of the characters. But i love them in the game.

My final gripe, is that this game is QUITE dated, and there's already been a sequel out in japan (which DESTROYS this game by the way. since i've beat that one already as well :p ).

I got a chance to play it today.

So far so good =P

I like the cut scenes, and its my prefered style of gameplay.

AND. I do have 1 complaint. I had to pay 50$ CAD For it, stupid Atlantic SuperStore.

The graphics I've seen better off, definatly. ut still, its the gameplay that counts, and it makes up for it with the cut scenes.
Is this the one that starts on the train? I dl-ed and I like it alot. Only I have some kind of BETA version. First few anime cutscenes are dubbed in english and afterwards the scenes are jap. without subs but the rest of the text is in english.

Great game and indeed really funny. I really like the concept of the use of alchemy in this game. It reminds me alot of Kingdom Hearts gameplay wise.
Yep, this is the one that starts on the train. And just goes to show how downloading games can screw you sometimes.

Why? Because in the last couple months, some groups have had this NASTY habit of releasing beta versions of games, and pass them off as 'final'. The way to tell that you have a beta? It's out WEEKS before the full version.

As for the post about the games graphics. That's because the game is quite dated. It's over a year old already (it came out winter 2003). The sequel on the other hand, is MUCH better looking, but that's also cause its newer n_n

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0406/game061504a.shtml (i know magicbox has a better page with MUCH more screens... but that's all i could find)

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0406/game062204a.shtml (is the fighting game made by bandai. it's pretty fun if you play with others)

Is there anything against posting direct links on this board? I know some boards have rules against that.
As far as I know you can post links.

Yeah, the dl-ing can screw you but this version was only 700mb and fits on a cd (and ofcourse it was free). Plus I only have the ability for dl-ing and burning since 4 weeks so its all new to me and I'm having a blast everytime I get a new game in regardless of minor flaws.
looks like you have a DVD rip (onto CD) of the original DVD version
basically peops just rip out movies or bacground music etc or downsize them, i used to rip PS2 games before i got a DVD writer

just d/l the original iso its only like 1.5 gig Wink
desfunk Wrote:Yep, this is the one that starts on the train. And just goes to show how downloading games can screw you sometimes.

Why? Because in the last couple months, some groups have had this NASTY habit of releasing beta versions of games, and pass them off as 'final'. The way to tell that you have a beta? It's out WEEKS before the full version.

As for the post about the games graphics. That's because the game is quite dated. It's over a year old already (it came out winter 2003). The sequel on the other hand, is MUCH better looking, but that's also cause its newer n_n

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0406/game061504a.shtml (i know magicbox has a better page with MUCH more screens... but that's all i could find)

http://www.the-magicbox.com/0406/game062204a.shtml (is the fighting game made by bandai. it's pretty fun if you play with others)

Is there anything against posting direct links on this board? I know some boards have rules against that.

Hmm..

The graphics look wicked for that Big Grin

Do you know the canadian release date for it? I don't see it on the US Release dating list.
Nope, neither game even has an english release date yet. But give it time, i'm sure both will be released.

They should really look into bringing out the gameboy advance FMA games as well. Since they looked awesome as well.
desfunk Wrote:Nope, neither game even has an english release date yet. But give it time, i'm sure both will be released.

They should really look into bringing out the gameboy advance FMA games as well. Since they looked awesome as well.
I've been meanign to get a GBA, or somethign of the sort. My GBC is getting a little outdated.

I also played this game a bit, and it IS good....Im just wondering why so many people think otherwise? It got pretty bad ratings in alot of places, the hightest Ive seen was 6.5/10 I think.
Well, in the beginning it all seems very new but thats just in the beginning. It gets quite repetitive after a while and the fights get borring and too easy. It hardly has a challenge.

Still the graphics are pretty good for this game I think even hough its pretty old.
http://rr.ps2.ign.com/rr/574472/020/020547.html I can't believe how stupid the guy who wrote that review is. He didnt even review the same system or game!
Game Informer gave it something like a 4.5 so I havn't even bothered renting it...

Only disagreed with them once, and that was with virtua fighter 4 or whatever the playstation 2 one is. That games sucks compared to tekken. When I can button mash and beat my friends who play a lot there's something wrong. Tekken on the other hand.... if anyone tries to button mash me they will receive a severe beatdown.
That's because you're probably a 'tekken freak'. Any fighting game can be played by mashing the buttons. But if you're actually good at one, then nobody can beat you by mashing.

That's how any game would work.

In actually skill required, and overall quality. VF4 DOES kill Tekken. Especially since you could play VF4 forever, and still never even come close to mastering the game.

Then again, it's hard to master any fighting game out there.

As for the link to the FMA review. That review was actually for Resident Evil 4. Somehow the titles got messed up.
I'm not a tekken freak, i'm just good at the game. I havn't even played it since tekken 4 came out however long ago that was, and about 6 months before that...

I'm good at fighting games in general - and VF4 seemed to require the least amount of skill to beat someone than almost any (semi balanced) games i've played.
Pages: 1 2