Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Casshern live action
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Anyone seen this movie on hk yet? Are the subs any good? The movie looks friggin amazing. Want to get it but if it has craptastic subs i'm sure it will come to R1 (it just looks too damn cool not to come stateside) i'll wait.
Cidien Wrote:Anyone seen this movie on hk yet? Are the subs any good? The movie looks friggin amazing. Want to get it but if it has craptastic subs i'm sure it will come to R1 (it just looks too damn cool not to come stateside) i'll wait.

I have the japanese (rather expensive) edition, and that edition has English Subs (professional and with i'd say the same quality as a r1 release) , so the logical thing to be expeted is that they also ripped that Subs track.
The Swan Wrote:I have the japanese (rather expensive) edition, and that edition has English Subs (professional and with i'd say the same quality as a r1 release) , so the logical thing to be expeted is that they also ripped that Subs track.

That's true. However it would also be logical to use fansubs for their Naruto dvd releases instead of the crapass hk job they did. =/

Thanks for the info.
I've also watched the Japanese edition and the subtitles are indeed very good. The movie is good but not great. I love the fact that they filmed it using unusual filming methods and the movies colours are very strong and meaningful. However, once in a while for no apparent reason shiny clouds pass through the screen which is a bit weird. I suppose the movie makers tried making a film with very strong visuals but exagerated a little.
I agree, the movie is not that great. It's very graphical and beautiful, but the actual story tends to drag on and on. Yeah, the subs are perfect since they're a direct rip from the R2 DVD.

In response to the Naruto info, it's not as logical to take the subs from the fansubs. Since there isn't a subtitle track to rip from, it would be a hassle to download wait until ANBU & AONE to release their version, then download it, and then actually type the subs word or word, then try to time set those subs, etc. Mainly the waiting and the downloading would probably be the reasons why they don't do it that way.

With Casshern, all they have to do is pop in the R2 DVD, and tell it to copy the English subtitle file. You can't do that with hard subs like Naruto.

However, if softsubs ever get popular with fansubbers, it would be a logical option to go the route you're talking about, and just convert the subtitle file to something usable on DVD. That's what I did with my Appleseed fansub. It was horribly softsubbed, so I edited all the crappy subs and fixed some small timing issues, then burnt it to DVD so I could watch it on TV instead of my crummy computer.
Alright, it's not quite as logical. It's still stupid though. I can't imagine it takes more to to set a few computers up to download the eps then copy what they have than it is to translate from japanese to english. It's obviously very hard for them because they suck at it. That and more people would buy it if it had better subtitles. So what they basically said is, we don't want to download the episodes and get good subtitles. We're just fine making less money. I sold my Naruto FX sets (still selling the 4th) and bought good subbed ones off ebay for $30. Had they used good subtitles they woulda made more money from me now and in the future. Just stupid.
Heh yeah. I look at Casshern alot like the new Appleseed movie.

GORGEOUS movies, but crummy stories :p

Some things that i really enjoyed in casshern though, were the insane use of digital effects on everything (it just looked awesome), and the soundtrack was really well done (both the 'inspired by' vocals disc, and the actual ost)
I got the dvd from redsundvd.com, the copy I got was perfect with perfect subs and special features. The movie was awesome except that you have to be used to Japanese cinema because it differs so much from American cinema. It is great if you don't mind a depressing story and anime like fighting.
ADV is supposed to be releasing it in limited theatres like they did with Appleseed,its in the NEWTYPE magazine(latest one)