Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Evading Customs when mailing from USA to Canada
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I recently purchased a watch online from a New Jersey-based store. They sent it to me via regular mail, but it was charged $20 customs upon entering Canada. The watch turned out to be defective, and I have to send it back. Are there any techniques that the shop I bought watch from can use to evade customs when they send a replacement watch?

I heard things like labelling the parcel/package as a "business sample" or "gift". I don't know if they work, but are there any better methods? Thanks.

Stupid Canadian customs.
tell them to put the value at like $25 max.
they should not put their business name on return address, and ask them to declare it as replacement watch, because you already paid duty on it to begin with, when they send replacement, its already been taxed since u sent the other one back.

thing is if the package was going via a courier, it would be easier, u show them a receipt that u paid already and when they clear your package with customs they show the customs official the documentation and thats it.. with stuff going via regular mail, if they decide to tax you, they slap you with a tax bill and you cant get the package until u pay it at the post office... and then after you pay the tax again you have to dispute it and try to get charges back... might take a while, a long long while...

anyhow, best way is to make sure they declare value low and not have business name/website URL on the package or inside.