Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Bad R1 DVDs and GITS2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
My main reason for buying R1 DVDs is always the packaging and the dubbing (appart from the main content) and also the fact that I get to watch it first dubbed before any FX sets. What really irks me is that some oddball R1 DVD that don't come with any extra or dubbing at all. For this reason, I see absolutely no reason to not go straight to imports.

Has anybody seen the new GITS2 DVD? What were they thinking with the cover art? And with no dubbing? Come on, sounds kind of rushed and no effort to me. Any dub watchers agree?
I don't care so much about no dubbing on the GITS Innocence, but the hideous packaging pissed me off too. I actually bought the HK just for the cover AFTER buying the R1 because I wanted that beautiful art that is used. Another thing that pissed me off was that they were closed captioned, not subtitled. So I had to watch the movie with the " [Helicopter approacing] and [Distant Footsteps]" the entire movie.
Dustball Wrote:Has anybody seen the new GITS2 DVD? What were they thinking with the cover art? And with no dubbing? Come on, sounds kind of rushed and no effort to me. Any dub watchers agree?

I don't know about the packaging, but the lack of a dub track is the reason I haven't bought GITS2. That's why I haven't placed my preorder for Slam Dunk or Air Master also. Because I don't know whose dubbing those titles or if they're being dubbed at all.
dvd_master Wrote:I don't care so much about no dubbing on the GITS Innocence, but the hideous packaging pissed me off too. I actually bought the HK just for the cover AFTER buying the R1 because I wanted that beautiful art that is used. Another thing that pissed me off was that they were closed captioned, not subtitled. So I had to watch the movie with the " [Helicopter approacing] and [Distant Footsteps]" the entire movie.

That pissed me off too. More than anything else, that irritated the crap outta me. I heard that it wasn't dubbed because the Japanese director didn't want it to be dubbed, he wanted to keep it in its originaly form - which I think he should be slapped for. The box art isn't that horrid though, but it could be 100x better.

I bought the dvd without even knowing there was no dub. =/ Just saw it at best buy, had $30 in my wallet and bought it. First thing I was pissed about is they didn't even take the time to include an insert. When I loaded up the closed captioning subtitles I wanted my damn money back. The anime is pretty good - but there is no excuse for such a shitty release.
i agree with u guys, the cover was really bad. seriouly, can't they use some better artworks?
oanother thing, would u watch a ghost in the shell movie that doesn't have Kusanagi?? the answer is no, and the story is not that good either, seems like a rip off from patlabor
if u like the 1st movie, stay away from this one...
Maybe that's why I liked the actual movie. I love Patlabor. =P
How can the subs be closed captioned?! Sounds like dubtitles with no dub lol! As for the artist wanting to keep his work in its true form why should he be slapped? He made it he can do what ever the hell he wants. At least you are getting it at all... Infact I think it shows he has more respect for his work than someone who sells it to a country to mash it up however the hell they feel just so they can make some cash...
He can do whatever he wants with his show. I'm not saying he doesn't. I just think he's as ass for doing it. His VA's really aren't anything special to demand that no dub be made. That along with the fact that GITS 1 and the series had excellent english dubs also shows what a stupid move it was. I have a feeling his decision also lead to much much crappier sales than had he allowed them to dub it. Had I thought for a second "I wonder if the Japanese director is stupid and won't allow a dub" and checked when I was looking at it, I wouldn't have bought it.

Again, it's a great anime to me and he can do whatever he wants with it - I just think he made an incredibly poor - and in my view arrogant choice.
Are the Closed Captions watchable? As in, do they give you all the speech?
Yes, it's a region 1 dvd. I don't know of any region 1 dvd that ever does a poor job with subtitles. They may not translate it all exactly like they say it but they dont miss lines. The closed caption subs are just annoying as hell.
Cidien Wrote:Just saw it at best buy, had $30 in my wallet and bought it.

30 bucks? Geez, I hope they kissed you also...

I picked mine up at Wal-Mart for $15

I didn't hear about the director not wanting it to be dubbed, but I agree that that is ridiculous. I would never have watched the dub, but there are many people who would rely on it being there.
Wow, there're not even subs but closed caption? That's even more irritating. I can understand the direction not wanting to have dubbing on his movie, but that usually goes for the theatre release. But this is the DVD! They're suppose to be busting out the extras to get you to want to buy the DVD. Sigh, this R1 gets no respect from me, I'm going for the import GITS2.
Cidien Wrote:He can do whatever he wants with his show. I'm not saying he doesn't. I just think he's as ass for doing it. His VA's really aren't anything special to demand that no dub be made.

No Offense but do you know how to fluently speak japanese or how there culture views VA and what is good or bad? I know i don't so i won't ever critic there VA'ing when i have nothing to base my judgement on.

Though i do know i very much liked the first movies English Dubs one of the very few that i absolutly love.
Schultz Wrote:No Offense but do you know how to fluently speak japanese or how there culture views VA and what is good or bad? I know i don't so i won't ever critic there VA'ing when i have nothing to base my judgement on.

Though i do know i very much liked the first movies English Dubs one of the very few that i absolutly love.

Alright, from MY point of view the VA'ing is nothing special. Compared to some shows like Naruto for example it's crap.

And I never said I spent $30 on the dvd.
so is the import version of GITS2 a "perfect" copy of the region 1 DVD?

edit: looking at the reviews looks like the subtitles suck on the import GITS 2 :/
Pages: 1 2