Import Anime Forums

Full Version: DVD Player
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
My Xbox and PS2 are not cutting it anymore they both keep messing up with my dvds so whats a good dvd player thats 50$ dollars or cheaper that plays HK good with no errors? I need a dvd player thats gonna play cheaply made Hk dvds like my ROD 2nd disc whcih buzzes like hell in my xbox and buzzes like crazy when i play episodes 9-13 but won't buzz when i play 14-16 on my ps2 go figure has to do with the center of the disc not being sealed to gether between the upper and lower part of the disc (I rebought the second disc and it did it with that one too). So which dvd player do you use?
Apex used to be popular with alot of people for Hk's. Cheap and durable.

In another thread I had about this there were alot of people who were happy with their philips players, including me Big Grin but i don't know if you'll find one for that price.

Honestly when I go out shopping for a cheap dvd player (which I have to do soon) I just buy whatever looks nice for $50,-. My experience is that cheap players read just about every dvd you throw at it but they just break down earlier.

If its going to be your main player I suggest spending a little more. About $120 should settle you.
Apex play like crap. About the same as my ps2. My ps2 actually worked better with many discs. I'd suggest spending at least $70 on a dvd player.
I have a Sony Picot PQ2 that plays anything and everything and is virtually silent, very small aswell, these are end of the line now so you should be able to pick one up cheap somewhere. If you do get one, get the PQ2 it's the second revision
My old Apex worked fine just for me. Now I have a Samsung progressive one, got for about $60 which has never given me any probs... Actually, I just tried to see if Banner of the Stars disk (the one everyone had problems with in the first batch).. and it works!!
I can NOT reccomend the Philips DVP 642 more. It plays DivX, Xvid, Mpeg, VCD, SVCD, CD, DVD, and on and on and on. I've never had a single problem with any of my HK's. It's very very nice looking, widely available (got mine at Target), really cheap (but more then 50$), and ROCKS!
dvd_master Wrote:I can NOT reccomend the Philips DVP 642 more. It plays DivX, Xvid, Mpeg, VCD, SVCD, CD, DVD, and on and on and on. I've never had a single problem with any of my HK's. It's very very nice looking, widely available (got mine at Target), really cheap (but more then 50$), and ROCKS!

Just got me one of thems! $79.99 Canadian at Future Shop or Best Buy. Best electronic investment EVAR.

Mmmmm... DivX/Xvid.... so pretty, and so free.
r00ster Wrote:Just got me one of thems! $79.99 Canadian at Future Shop or Best Buy. Best electronic investment EVAR.

Mmmmm... DivX/Xvid.... so pretty, and so free.

Isn't it awesome? And region-free with the press of a few buttons. I hated having to flash my Apex, possibly ruining it and downloading a bunch of confusing firmware.
I would suggest saving your cash and trying to find an integra single disk player (made by onkyo). I have owned multiple sony's (one of which I ripped the carrage out of in a fit of rage), Apex 660's (modded and unmodded for region free), panasonic's and the two integra's I use now. I have had disks that would not play on the sony's, apex, or the panasonic's that play wonderfully on the integra, albeit they are going to cost you more than 50 bucks.
Yeah, haven't had any problems with my Philips DVP 642 also but external subtitle support could be better, you've got to press a whole bunch of buttons and remember some numbers to make then easier to read than the default subs. I got some other minor complaints, like no random feature for mp3 playback, can't switch audio channels for dual language mpeg1 video files, no .ogm playback etc.., but that's just me nitpicking, all in all a great player.

You forgot to mention that it can convert PAL -> NTSC also. Don't flash it to the new firmware though, version 1109, I flashed it and it didnt improve playback but it enables macrovision! The older verion was macrovision free and now I'm not able to go back to the old firmware.
I also used to use Apex a lot, but I converted over to the Philips DVP642.

I remember buying my first Apex DVD player, I bought it when the prices were still high for the players. I bought it at a retail chain store, and got an extended warranty. Of course it went bad while the warranty was still in effect (maybe too many HKs :eek: ), and they gave me a gift card for the purchase price. Needless to say, I had in excess of $100 left on that gift card to spend on other stuff because DVD players had depreciated so much. Big Grin
FairUse Wrote:I also used to use Apex a lot, but I converted over to the Philips DVP642.

I remember buying my first Apex DVD player, I bought it when the prices were still high for the players. I bought it at a retail chain store, and got an extended warranty. Of course it went bad while the warranty was still in effect (maybe too many HKs :eek: ), and they gave me a gift card for the purchase price. Needless to say, I had in excess of $100 left on that gift card to spend on other stuff because DVD players had depreciated so much. Big Grin

Yeah, my first region free player was a $45 Apex player. It was a good deal, until it slowly killed itself. The DVP it perfect, except that sometimes, when I'm pausing or fast-forwarding, and I hit the Play button, it just shuts off. This happens maybe 1/50 times, but it is annoying.