Import Anime Forums

Full Version: FX, or MAC?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hiya =P

Im kinda new here, and I havent ordered anything yet.

So, I was wondering, what company should I try and stick too? or does it even matter?

and sorry if this thread doesnt belong in Anime Discussion, but I didnt see anywhere else to post it =P

Also, are the other companies any better...? MAC and FX seem like the two main ones in the store...

Thanks.

~Katherine_Jean
katherine_jean Wrote:Hiya =P

Im kinda new here, and I havent ordered anything yet.

So, I was wondering, what company should I try and stick too? or does it even matter?

and sorry if this thread doesnt belong in Anime Discussion, but I didnt see anywhere else to post it =P

Also, are the other companies any better...? MAC and FX seem like the two main ones in the store...

Thanks.

~Katherine_Jean

Neither one in particular just read the reviews if both make a specific set. If I am correct most of the companies are smaller pieces of MAC and FX too..
It really depend on you. Mac usually release new anime in eng dub first then fx. I really like fx overall.
heh, thanks

The only products I'v seen are FX's, my freind lent me Berserk, GTO and Escaflowne. so, I havent seen the Mac stuff yet
katherine_jean Wrote:heh, thanks

The only products I'v seen are FX's, my freind lent me Berserk, GTO and Escaflowne. so, I havent seen the Mac stuff yet

Ive only seen Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop. Got Berserk coming though...
They all have their problems and good qualities. FX has had video trouble lately. MAC used to have lots of missing subtitles but now are generally quite good but seem to making their own 5.1 ac3 audio when the original had 2.0 so its pointless. Also MAC seem to compress alot more stuff onto less discs than FX but with the way some FX sets have bad video they still can look better. Basically read the review of each set. Some of MAC's stuff is FX ripped so there is always that to look out for as you should get the FX in them cases... This store only really orders from Animegod (AS/MAC) and FX but there is also MI and AV
There are very few FX sets that have bad video. People say FX has had bad video lately but FX has actually been doing very well with their recent releases AND they have been releasing english dub sets before MAC lately. I try to stick with FX for one reason. MAC's cases are about 2 inches shorter and about 1 inch smaller in length than FX sets/dvd's in general and look stupid next to any sets other than other MAC sets.
Cidien Wrote:There are very few FX sets that have bad video. People say FX has had bad video lately but FX has actually been doing very well with their recent releases AND they have been releasing english dub sets before MAC lately. I try to stick with FX for one reason. MAC's cases are about 2 inches shorter and about 1 inch smaller in length than FX sets/dvd's in general and look stupid next to any sets other than other MAC sets.

thanks for informing me. About the packaging espeically, Im one to make it look nice on my shelf.

and, from what I've heard from everyone, they both seem pretty good, but I guess Im gonna try and take my chances with FX.

~Katherine_Jean
The only problem I've had with FX is Yu Yu Hakusho the third set (episodes 51-78). The video is down right fugly at times and great most of the time. FX is all I own except for my Love Hina set (and all my R1's naturally) and it looks stupid cause the others are taller.
I have both MAC and FX sets and they're perfect. I've never had a single problem.
Of the 40+ sets of FX and MAC HKs I have ordered over the last year I have only had problems with 2 of the MAC ones and 1 of the FX sets or movies that I had ordered. I have had no problems with any of the sets of eather that I ordered in the last few months. I like FX sets alittle better but that is a personal preferance nothing to do with overal quality of the disks
I prefer FX for series boxsets. MAC is better for individual movies or OVA sets that haven't been released on R1.

I also was impressed with MAC's version of FLCL because it included subtitles for the commentary audio. FX included the japanese director commentary, but no subs... pretty useless if you can't speak Japanese.
FX is kinda bad with single disk titles IMO. Like with their Tokyo Godfathers dvd with the sync problem, Ichi the killer with its regional code problem, and etc. I think that all hk companies should use this ratio of distributing episodes:

Series 1-26: 4 DVDs
Series 1-13: 3 DVDs
Movies: 1 DVD
OVAs Eps 1-6- 2 DVDs
Eps 1-13- 3 DVDs

I think this distribution ratio is better, since the less compression they use, the better the video. Some might disagree, but this is my idea of what it should be like. What do you guys think about the distribution of the episodes, I wanna hear your opinions. ^_^
Ryoku Slayer Wrote:FX is kinda bad with single disk titles IMO. Like with their Tokyo Godfathers dvd with the sync problem, Ichi the killer with its regional code problem, and etc. I think that all hk companies should use this ratio of distributing episodes:

OVAs Eps 1-6- 2 DVDs
Eps 1-13- 3 DVDs

I think this distribution ratio is better, since the less compression they use, the better the video. Some might disagree, but this is my idea of what it should be like. What do you guys think about the distribution of the episodes, I wanna hear your opinions. ^_^

I agree with your ratio's, mainly because the more disks the better, less compression *should* nake for higher quality disks, and possibly better/more special features.
It would be good if there where like, 5-7 episodes per disk. that way you're not always jumping up to change it, and its a good number for a sitting.
What Ive seen so far, is
Escaflowne (26 eps) 4-disks. FX
Berserk, 25 eps, 3-disk - FX
GTO - 42 eps (I..think) 5 disks - FX
aaansd, I personalyl think That GTO is stuffing on too much per disk.. 9 episodes for most of them. Berserk could have used another disk, and escaflowne was fine.
Ryoku Slayer Wrote:FX is kinda bad with single disk titles IMO. Like with their Tokyo Godfathers dvd with the sync problem, Ichi the killer with its regional code problem, and etc. I think that all hk companies should use this ratio of distributing episodes:

OVAs Eps 1-6- 2 DVDs
Eps 1-13- 3 DVDs

I believe for a 26 episode series 3 discs work they just need to keep making em like the Outlaw Star set. As far as movies and OVAs for for 6 episoides it all depends on the length of each episoide. But 3 DVDs for 13 episoides IMO would cost too much and be a waste. But that's just my view...

The final thing is I believe special features well just suck..
Pages: 1 2