Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Direction of game music
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I have always been a big fan of game music, and I think that some of my favourite musics ever are from video games. But lately I have noticed a trend that most game music these days is tending to lean in the ambient direction, which tends to not have any specific melody or memorability.

Now don't get me wrong, some scenes in some games and some games full stop need to have ambient music. But there are certain games that would be alot better if the music was better.

I'm not saying I want a super repetative tune that repeats the same thing every 5 seconds either. I just think that the games industry in maybe some miss-concieved rush to try and sound like movie soundtracks has lost its way somewhat.

So I think that game music is going in the wrong direction and I would prefere more catchy tunes with a good melody in future, instead of the forgettable ambient tunes that everyone seems to want to do these days.

What do you think?
I find that Japanese video games tend to have better music. Take Metal Gear Solid titles for example, or RPGs such as Xenosaga II, Xenogears, Final Fantasy titles. And when I talk about music, I don't mean licensed music tracks like those in sports games. I care about the quality of the music, not about the amount of money a company has spent on peforming artists.
Same here, overall I find that Japanese RPG's tend to have good music so they are not really what I was refering to.
What kind of games are there very tangible examples of this because I mostly play adventure games and RPGs, which tend to have good music and sound design in general. I hate sports games but know enough about them to see where there music comes from; even on the bloody menus you get licensed crap. And I do mean crap, almost never any good licensed music.
Well I was not really talking about sports titles, mainly action games, adventure games, FPS etc... lots of other genres but I can't really think of them right now.
I think FPS and Racing games oh and Hack n Slashers (the worst one) get the brunt of crap music now that I think about it. Lots of crap metal, and songs that throw off the tempo of the game instead of support it are included for filler. Another thing, I like games where the music can change depending on the tempo of the game but some lay it on too thick and it gets annoying (Suikoden III?s music forced the mood). But I think there is a loss of quality and originality, as well as an increase in the ineptitude of its use in many games today. I think game makers are more focusing on the effects part of the sound and the music is getting neglected because of that.
All the Final Fantsy games have great music, and visuals to go along with the whole package which makes it stand out. other games in other generes out of RPG's tend to have crap for music or mainstream music for there soundtrack like the new Prince of Persia. but also adventure games like Zelda and Mario (sunshine) have great music. i liked the tropical feel to the mario sunshine game the music was more laid back.
First off sports titles are more than horrible too much rap in a lot of games. Perfect example of crap music is Tony Hawks Underground 2 has mostly garbage tracks. Game music goes down constantly I hate it as much as anyone and in games like THUG2 all I can do is mute the damn TV and put a CD in if you play sports games that's about the best thing you can do. Some games have good soundtracks just havent seen many but MGS2 and Noctunre are GREAT examples...

Too Much Rap Not Enough Metal! Big Grin
Lest see, I think its a sport and if so the last sports game, if you can call it that, I liked

was the Skate or Die series. It may just be me but like a variety in my game music

because I don't know many music artists or at least its a limited knowledge at best.

Anyway I do agree that the music should fit the game.
Puppet Master Wrote:THUG2

Sounds funny! Big Grin
All I have to say is Harry Gregson-Williams.
kakoi_sugoi_yama Wrote:All I have to say is Harry Gregson-Williams.

All I have to say is.....

WHO?
Harry Gregson-Williams scored the Metal Gear Solid games.
I just finished playing Metal Gear Solid 3, and I've got to say, DAMN!! What a fantastic musical score, one of the reasons I love playing Japanese-developed games. The Japanese realize the importance of a good musical score, particularly with all their experience in anime. I wouldn't be surprised if making a video game is almost the same as making an anime production in Japan, in terms of areas of focus (i.e. character design, story, music, and of course, gameplay).

Btw, THUG 2 = Tony Hawk Underground 2.
Ryo of Inferno Wrote:Lest see, I think its a sport and if so the last sports game, if you can call it that, I liked

was the Skate or Die series. It may just be me but like a variety in my game music

because I don't know many music artists or at least its a limited knowledge at best.

Anyway I do agree that the music should fit the game.

SOD? What system was that for???? :confused:
Pages: 1 2