Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Anime or Not
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here's a question for you I was walking from my college to the mall to get some more

anime. I went into the anime store and saw the original Megaman show on DVD. I heard

from another anime fan here at college that this title is a little "iffy" to be called an anime.

What is your response?
Well, if it is animated and originally from Japan, then I'd call that anime.

I often wonder if people in Japan consider American animated stuff 'anime'. Disney, and other various American cartoons, even the Simpsons, do they think that is anime?
There are chinese animation and korean stuff. I still call that anime and manga, even if it isn't japanese.Anyhoo, chow!
The megaman show had an anime opening, but the studio that animated the actual show was based out of Florida, but most were Japanese so you figure it out man.
Isnt Megaman the US version of Rockman?
Ok, the Japanese word "Anime" is a shortened version of the english word "animation". So yes the Japanese call all animation "anime" and all comics "manga". Its only us in the west who make the distiction between them and cartoons etc..

As for the Megaman show...its a cartoon animated by people in the west, so no it is not anime. On a quick side note: During the 80's there were alot of joint Japanese-Western animation ventures, such as Thundercats and Ulysees. (I'm pretty sure Transformers fell in here somehwere but I can't remember). Interestingly the guy who was involved in the making of Thundercats went on to make Tenchi Muyo.
yes it is the American version of Rockman gubi-gubi I'm surprised you knew that as I

knew I forgot to put an important piece of information in somewhere. Ryujin thank you for

clarifying that for me because I was beginning to wonder especially about Transformers.
rarnom Wrote:Well, if it is animated and originally from Japan, then I'd call that anime.

I often wonder if people in Japan consider American animated stuff 'anime'. Disney, and other various American cartoons, even the Simpsons, do they think that is anime?

Short answer, yes.

Most Japanese people (my friends from high school anyways) don't see a difference between their animation and ours. They don't have any words distinguishing between the two or anything. Their "anime" are just cartoons to them. Their country just loves cartoons more than we do. I watched a show on how the Japanese came to be the leading animation country in the world after ww2 and how their love for animation came about, it was pretty cool.
The megaman R1 dvds that you can easily get on a store isnt anime but there is actually an anime of megaman (not refering to the network series). Its a short OVA about 4-6 episodes long and its great, kinda hard find a place to download it, its good, it looks like the original megaman and not a futuristic one. But if you get a chance watch it its worth it.