Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Gasaraki
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Someone just reviewed gasaraki...

You guys do know that you can get the entire region 1 box set for about the same price if you include shipping for the gasaraki HK don't you...?
I don't think I would pay 5 bucks for this series. It was like watching a boring CNN.
You've got to look at it from all perspectives. the reviewer was ghostjacker13, who according to his/her profile here on the forums, lives in Singapore, MAC DVDs are probably alot easier and cheaper to buy in Singapore than importing the R1 DVDs, paying for shipping, maybe duty charges or to look for it at a retail store in Singapore, something I'm guessing that isn't to find and pay for incredibly marked up prices.

Gasaraki was a damn good show, a little slow and not for everyone but I found it very interesting with a good storyline and interesting characters.
matthewmalay Wrote:You've got to look at it from all perspectives. the reviewer was ghostjacker13, who according to his/her profile here on the forums, lives in Singapore, MAC DVDs are probably alot easier and cheaper to buy in Singapore than importing the R1 DVDs, paying for shipping, maybe duty charges or to look for it at a retail store in Singapore, something I'm guessing that isn't to find and pay for incredibly marked up prices.

Gasaraki was a damn good show, a little slow and not for everyone but I found it very interesting with a good storyline and interesting characters.

That's true.

And I agree about Gasaraki. It showed what could be a very real future for Japan/America and still added some old fashioned "magic" resurrection stuff at the end. Forgot what they call it now, been a while since I watched it.
In Singapore, original R1s cost about USD$30-$35/dvd. The last time I went, the stores were selling old movies such as Liar Liar for USD$32. Plus, anime is not a big thing there, it would be really difficult to get anime titles in retail stores.

There are taxes, think 15%, it might have gone up, for international packages marked 'merchandise' valued $200++. I don't think eg. Rightstuf, DDD etc would mark the dvds as gift.
Japschin Wrote:In Singapore, original R1s cost about USD$30-$35/dvd. The last time I went, the stores were selling old movies such as Liar Liar for USD$32. Plus, anime is not a big thing there, it would be really difficult to get anime titles in retail stores.

There are taxes, think 15%, it might have gone up, for international packages marked 'merchandise' valued $200++. I don't think eg. Rightstuf, DDD etc would mark the dvds as gift.

Anime is getting popular. There is so much pirated dvd9 rips of R1 anime movies cost USD$1-2. HKDVD cost USD$10 per dvd,so the obvious preference for HKDVDs. Censorship is another big problem. I mean 'Platoon' is banned here 'cause of the ganja scenes. This has recently been relaxed, allowing more titles to be available.For info. sake, Where's a good place to get R1 dvds?
Good, Platoon is a crappy movie that once again misrepresents the American soldier during Vietnam. I know that's not why it's banned, but it's still a bonus. =P

I'm not sure where a good international anime place to order from is. I'd suggest ebay. Many, many sellers have flag international shipping fees which aren't a whole lot more than to Canada. It's just trying to avoid your countries tax fees.

Now, what I don't understand is how they can tax a gift. If I send dvd's to family in Canada or something like that as a christmas gift or birthday gift and they charged them taxes, i'd be VERY pissed.
I saw only about 2 or 3 episodes of Gasaraki, it had its good points, but overall it was just too boring, and overall not that great.

Cidien...I have noticed this alot and I'm beginning to see a running trend...which is the only reason I mention this. This is not a personal attack on you but rather a suggestion...but would you stop with the talk of politics all over the place? I mean obviously if its a thread about the election or Bush or something, then knock yourself out, but could you confine it to those places?

I hear enough about politics all over the palce anyway, I don't really want to have to read more of it when I come to read about anime, especially considering its such a touchy matter that gets alot of people with different view riled up. So can you please keep the politics and the anime seperate in future? thanks
ghostjacker13 Wrote:Anime is getting popular. There is so much pirated dvd9 rips of R1 anime movies cost USD$1-2. HKDVD cost USD$10 per dvd,so the obvious preference for HKDVDs. Censorship is another big problem. I mean 'Platoon' is banned here 'cause of the ganja scenes. This has recently been relaxed, allowing more titles to be available.For info. sake, Where's a good place to get R1 dvds?

You mean in Singapore or in USA? Singapore, not sure, since I havn't been back for almost 4 years. Going back in Dec, maybe I'll find out where. However, from what I found out from my friends, they said most places they know sells HK sets, no cheaper than what you can get from IA.

USA? Try Rightstuf during their Black Thursdays' sales, Deep Discount DVD, DVD Pacific.
Cidien Wrote:Now, what I don't understand is how they can tax a gift. If I send dvd's to family in Canada or something like that as a christmas gift or birthday gift and they charged them taxes, i'd be VERY pissed.

As long as you declare it at a lesser value than $40, you won't be charged any taxes when you ship stuffs to Canada.

Some other countries, like Portugal, preferably declare the gift at a value lesser than $15 o/w, big custom duties charge.
i wanted to see it before but if you all think it is bad i think ill stay away from it.

-LE
Japschin Wrote:You mean in Singapore or in USA? Singapore, not sure, since I havn't been back for almost 4 years. Going back in Dec, maybe I'll find out where. However, from what I found out from my friends, they said most places they know sells HK sets, no cheaper than what you can get from IA.

USA? Try Rightstuf during their Black Thursdays' sales, Deep Discount DVD, DVD Pacific.
I mean singapore. Are u coming over for a holiday? 1 thing we don't have are Animation Video & FX titles.
Last Exile Wrote:i wanted to see it before but if you all think it is bad i think ill stay away from it.

-LE
No. You have to watch it.