Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Macroblocking?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What's this macroblocking problem I keep on hearing about on the f/x Bebop DVDs? Is that some sort of macrovision protection, or just pixelation?
It's just pixelation... the problem is more pronounced with old or cheap DVD players than with higher quality players.... It's a problem from over condensed animation.
Just how bad is the f/x Bebop set's picture?
I didn't notice any macroblocking on my copy.
Keep in mind that I have a brand new Panasonic DVD player.
I just tried playing the disc on my PS2 and found problems with most of the scenes that had a lot of action (which is saying all the really good parts).
I find that I have similar problems when watching DVDs on my computer (1.1Ghz PIII, 512Mb RAM, Sound Blaster Live, ATI Radeon with 64 Mb DDR RAM).

A good dedicated DVD player will give you the best results in viewing.
If you can afford to shell out for the R1 releases then go for those. They aren't compressed nearly as much as the HK release. If you have a good player or can live with the occasional pixels, then buy the HK set.
Is it really that much worse than the R1 DVDs? I can't afford to get all of the R1 discs so I'm stuck with the f/x ones.
Like I said, it depends on your player.

Good player = no problems with HK release
Bad player = macroblocking with HK release

Good player = no problems with R1 release
Bad player = less problems with R1 release

The only real proof is to watch it.
If you can't stand the macroblocking, you won't have any problem selling your copy on eBay or to a friend.
I don't have any problem on my Apex player.
Basically shell out all the money you save from HK on a good player. ^_^
Check the images for it.

http://www.import-anime.com/screenshots....37&p=1

Check the one of the boy running to see the worst it gets. Generally, though, macroblocking happens during high-action scenes as a result of a lack of bits to properly display it. Since it is during high action scenes, it usually comes off as a sort of grainyness and sometimes blends right into the action. It looks aweful frame-by-frame, though, as you can see in that picture.
In short get Love Comedies, no need to worry about action sequences. :mrgreen:

Side Note: Shippou I am not a big fan of Shippou in Inu Yasha. He got Kagome kidnapped. He has been rather annoying. Of course I never liked Ed at the beginning either (actually same episode # as Inu Yasha appearance of Shippou). Though I've only seen up to episode 9. Hopefully he'll redeem himself. :mrgreen:
I'll have you know I'm not too fond of talking pies, either. You try to eat tham and they fuggin talk.. and shit. I'm just like "Shut up and let me eat you, dammit!".

>=[
Now another guy tries to eat me. What's with the world nowadays? 8O