Import Anime Forums

Full Version: current day PS2 import techniques
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, I'm in the market for a PStwo and I was just curious if anyone here knows anything about playing imports and burned games on a PStwo? Do swapdiscs that worked on the PS2 work on the PStwo? etc

Any information is appreciated.
I'd wait for a modchip. Nothing beats a modchip for reliabiliy and ease of use. Particularly if you live in an area that has tons of stores that'll happily install one for you for a decent price.
Robojack Wrote:I'd wait for a modchip. Nothing beats a modchip for reliabiliy and ease of use. Particularly if you live in an area that has tons of stores that'll happily install one for you for a decent price.

Exactly. I don't know if the swap method works with this but it doesn't run all the backup games and if it does it often freezes up. There already are some modchips that work with the pstwo but there are not alot of reviews about them. Just from sellers. I'd wait till you can get some reviews on which chip works best on them. Here's a forum link http://www.fileforums.com/showthread.php?t=65283

In the ps2 I have a matrix infinety chip which is the best thats on the market now. Autoboots everything and its region free for playing dvd's. I'm never paying €60,- for a game on the ps2 again (except GT4).
elcoholic Wrote:Exactly. I don't know if the swap method works with this but it doesn't run all the backup games and if it does it often freezes up.

All the backups I've played using the swap method worked flawlessly even games that are on www.swapmagicfix.com's list of games that need a fix. I don't know if it will work with the PStwo though.
I'm still using my PS2 from two years ago, and my modchip (a Magic 3.1) works flawlessly. Direct boot, no swapping required. The thing about swap discs is that they don't support DVD9 titles (such as Xenosaga) very well, plus it's just an overall hassle.

I do have to open the drive up from time to time in order to keep the motor rails lubricated (which reduces clicking noises and motor wear that eventually lead to DREs), but that's normal maintenance for anyone who uses their PS2 frequently.
Andromeda18_ Wrote:All the backups I've played using the swap method worked flawlessly even games that are on www.swapmagicfix.com's list of games that need a fix. I don't know if it will work with the PStwo though.

Yeah. I bought a slide card/swap disc after we talked about it in another subject and you recommended it. I also ordered 8 games from some guy and only 4 worked perfect, 2 freezed while playing and 2 never booted and they weren't mentioned on that site. Probably had something to do with my ps2's age causing it to have trouble reading dvd-r's. I bought a new one (first version I had is dangerous to mod because of fragile lens) which was pre-modded and am very happy with it.