Import Anime Forums

Full Version: What type if HD in Xbox
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm in the market for a Hard drive upgrade in my xbox. I just curios as what other people are using and how many gigs is the norm. There is a nice deal on a 200GIG HD from Seagate. Does anyone know if that will be compatible with a X-ecutor 3 chip.
hdd size used to be a problem but isnt anymore.you can whack just about anything in an xbox.seagates work great and are quiet.my brothers xbox has a seagate in it.while your at it i highly recomend a cable upgrade like a 133 ide cable.load times are alot better when running games from the hdd and its only a cheap mod to do.
Actually i wouldn't recommend replaceing the cable. As the controller on the Xbox is only a ATA66 i belive. So putting a better cable won't help anything at all. And speaking about harddrive.. There are a few things you need to know. If you are going above 137gig harddrive you will need a bios that supports lba48 which all most current ones do. Especially the X3 bios's.. If you get a harddrive larger then 250 gigs you need to make sure that you use a special utility for the Xbox called XBParitioner and make sure that you format your partition 6 (F) with 32 or 64 (can't remember which one is the default but one above the default) to prevent getting Corruption when you start putting information above 250 gigs. (If you get a 250 gig harddrive you don't need to worry abou this because 8 gigs get allocated to the normal partitions so F only ends up at 242 which is safe.) But really any brand works. Atm i run Maxtor in one of my.. Western Digital in another and my 3rd one has a Seagate in it. So just what ever you can get cheaper i would say.
yeah the whole cable thing is debated by alot a people but i decided to time mine before and after and the loads were definitly better.halo for instance doesnt even get time to go through one loading screen took almost 2 on dvd and just over one originally.stopwatched it as well
could be a complete fluke but hay as long as it works.although i thought the original cable was 33.what do i know i had someone do it all for me.a friend installs chips.
I know some things can depend on when you install the game also. Since the file system gets fragmented pretty bad.. And if you delete and copy alot of games then it gets fragmented fast. Which can effect your load times. I do know that a few xbox scene teams where working on a defragger. hopefully they will release them shortly.. And yea i do all my own mod's and do some for other people also. lots of cool things you can do with a modded xbox.