Import Anime Forums

Full Version: LOTR: An anime/more movies!?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well I have been an anime junkie since I was 9 and an lord of the rings junkie since I was 10. I have seen the animated movies from the 70's and really like Peter Jacksons movies. But I think that seeing an anime on LOTR would be awesome. There are about 20 books of material that Tolkien wrote on middle earth. Someone could make lots of anime off this stuff. Of course Tolkiens family would have to agree. Does anyone else think that they should make anime LOTR?
Nope. Japan itself has enough Chinese and Japanese stories, myths, and legends to make more than enough decent series out of. I myself am a little sick of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, particularly the movies, which I felt didn't do the books enough justice. If you want more Lord of the Rings, read the books as well as the prequel and follow-ups.
Actually I have read the hobbit, LOTR, the sillmarillion, and the first four books in the history of middle earth. So I know a hell of a lot when it comes to middle earth. Also Tolkien never wanted movies made in the first place but his family felt it okay to give Jackson the rights to do so. If you have read the books five times and counting as I have then you would realize that making movies of these books is an insane thing to do. I think that Peter did a great job maintaining the heart of the books and kept all that could be done just like the books. You have to realize that filming them page for page would be annoyingly boring even for fans. His adaptations capture what Tolkien cared most for in these books and are epic and great movies themselves for fans or not.
?? Tolkien didnt want the movies made? I was under the understanding that it was Tolkien himself that sold the movie rights a while go for 30,000 USD
[QUOTE=geo85] There are about 20 books of material that Tolkien wrote on middle earth. QUOTE]

I know about the incomplete stories contained in the Book of Lost Tales vol 1-2, but these were stories Tolkien abandoned because he was not happy with them mostly. If someone did an anime series that folowed the LOTR books to the tee, yeah I would end up watching them. But for the most part I don't think they would do very good unless they were done on a grand scale that has never been seen in anime before.
LOTR anime would suck! FULLSTOP

simple as...
rav96 Wrote:LOTR anime would suck! FULLSTOP

simple as...

Hopefully that idea will never be a reality..An anime of LOTR *Shivers* Terrible thought
Star Wars anime ;p bring it on! haha
well you got the clone wars "Cartoon" for now :p Rolleyes
JunkieJoe Wrote:Star Wars anime ;p bring it on! haha

There was a Star Wars manga series. Tongue
was there when did that come out and i bet it SUCKED!!!
Wait a minute! Tolkien died in 1973. He had only just given the rights to make the animated movies but with strict guidelines. He said that he would never want movies to be made of his books. His family gave the rights up only after an extremly heated debate. There was a star wars manga that came out in 1993 i believe and it did not suck. Books like fantasy are perfect for anime because you can do a lot that is not possible in live action. have any of you even seen the 70's animated movies!? they dont have to be on the lotr there are a lot of other stories in tolkiens books that they could make into anime. the movies don't have to follow Jacksons stories he did change a lot you know. they could make the anime strict to the book and it would work!! stop hating and be more objective!!!!
Tolkien never abandonded his stories he died before he could finish writing them all DUDE!!!
Hey, you asked for our opinions. Don't get all whiney just because we don't happen to agree with you.
My opinion on this whole idea is yes LOTR was popular before the recent movies, but to a select audiance. I knew alot of people who had never heard of LOTR before the movies came out. Wouldn't doing a LOTR anime be just a stab at cashing in on the popularity the LA movies caused?
Pages: 1 2