Import Anime Forums

Full Version: do "import dvds" deterioate over time?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Do they? I hear from some forums that they do though I havent seen this myself.

Cheers
all things deteriorate over time... but only due to misuse ;p
When you look at any video format from BETA to VHS from Laser Disk to DVD it depends on how you take care of the format you have. Granted you will get just a plain bad copy of something that can happen with any format. If you are unsure do so reserch of your own of certain import releases, look at reviews ect. sometimes you might have favoritsm toward a companies releases. I like FX's stuff, but that is a personal preferance somebody might say the prefer MAC so on and so forth. But if you don't want to do the work yourself and will just believe what other tell you, I have nothing bad to say about import releases. Their will be errors from time to time in sound or video quality but as I said earlier that can happen on all formats.
DVDs are digital format... so there is no such thing are "deteriorate" its either the DVD works or it doesnt work (due to misuse, or maybe defective to start with)

while VHS and Beta, are tape, it gets rubbed over and over and it deteriorates.
But didn't you hear about ADV's dvd rot problem? =P jk
Optical disc (including DVDs) rot is a very real issue. However, it seems to happen more often with DVD-Rs than it does with factory pressed DVDs.
i think its entirely based on the quality of the actual dvd, as JJ said digital data doesnt degenerate/deterioate, this is fact. although if the dvd is of a low standard then there may be a small case of deterioation but id say its very limited and most likely not noticable. R1 dvds are severely unlikely to deterioate especially if they are taken care of, on the other hand dvd-rs are much more likely to, but its still very doubtful if they are taken care of. import/hk dvds would be of a fairly higher quality than dvd-rs as they are factory pressed oppossed to burnt on a computer, so id say they would be a safe bet to last your lifetime without any degeneration, never mind a noticeable loss in quality. as for my experience i have yet to see any digital media format degenerate in quality, unless youd say standing on and breaking is a deterioation? Big Grin

btw, JJ whats the craic with the little coloured dot beside my name? what the heck does it mean???
It also depends on the conditions in which a DVD is stored. Leaving a DVD in an extremely cold or hot or humid location is horrible for the disc, and so is exposing the disc to direct sunlight for extended periods.
The most important factor is the quality of the disc itself. The reason why some DVDs deteriorate over times is because the aluminum layer where digital information is stored gets oxidized by contact with oxygen. This happens for several reasons.

The first is the poor manufacturing of the DVD. Aluminum layer is sealed by plastic layer on top of it. If this seal is not air tight, it allows air to go thru.

The second reason is the scratches. If any scratches are deep enough, air can go through.

The third reason is the twisting of the discs. Many people tend to twist and bend DVD excessively in trying to take the DVDs out of tight case. Sometimes this causes glue between aluminum and plastic to fall apart, allowing air to go thru.

As long as both manufacturing and handling are done right, DVDs should last over 100 years.
sanosuke Wrote:btw, JJ whats the craic with the little coloured dot beside my name? what the heck does it mean???

I was reading this and was a bit confused for a second, I was like "Hey, this is an Irish saying..how come someone from the US is writing it?" and Then I looked at your location and it all became clear.

Now there are 2 of us here from Ireland, yay! (Just in case you didn't get it, I'm from Ireland too)
wheres me Lucky Charms??!! Tongue
rav96 Wrote:wheres me Lucky Charms??!! Tongue

I hope for you they're still between your legs Big Grin
*looks at my crotch*

"oh they were right under my nose all along"

Wink
lets face it, you love the irish! its a shame we just like to blow each other up :confused:

Ryujin where abouts in éire are you from?
I'm from Dublin, how about you?
Pages: 1 2