Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Mac or Microsoft !?!?!?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I was thinking of buying a laptop when I move to D.C. and i was wondering which one of these performs better for the buck and etc. Can anyone provide any insight or help ?
Microsoft makes software, not hardware.
Think you mean mac or ibm. ibm. Mac's are for retarded people. If you're too stupid to figure out how to use a computer, buy a mac.
Not nescessarily true. I'm purchasing a Mac simply for the fact it renders the software I use for video editing, as well as edited video itself, twice as fast as my PC does. That, and my PC hates using programs like Premiere.

I would say go with a PC laptop, to be honest. My mother has an iBook, and while it's nice, I'd prefer my PC laptop any day.
I'd have to say the biggest thing about which platform you're looking at is what type of work you plan on doing with it.

Mac gives way more bang for the buck with work on graphics, video, audio, and other digital arts. It's more stable than the OSs offered by Microsoft and runs faster for these applications.

If you want something geared towards surfing the net and playing video games then going for a Microsoft platform is the way to go. They aren't as stable but there is a LOT more software available for the various Windows platforms and are less expensive up front.

Look at the software you want to run... compare the prices between the systems available to you and get the best balance.

My best friend who is a computer engineer (I'm pretty sure that he isn't "too stupid to figure out how to use a computer") has recently switched over to Mac because he prefers the stability and quality of build for the dollar. He does run Linux on his computers and mostly does business stuff, digital imaging, programming, and e-mail on his computers. Right now I'm benefitting from Carl's change of allegience and using his cast off Dell laptop (1Ghz PIII, 256MB RAM and other decent goodies for something that can't handle what he needs it to do every day).

I'm trying to figure out how Cidien came up with such a hair brained response to label all Macs for "retarded people". I know many computer literate people making a good living using their Macs. I find his statement to be an insult to all these people who are quite happy with their computer choice.
I agree with Z, it all depends on what you will use it for. Buy a Mac if you want to do video editing stuff and such, but buy PC labtop if you plan to play any games at all on it. On the other hand, Ibooks look pretty cool, while other labtops look like a big black brick. It also depends on you price range. I suggest tomshardware.com or newegg.com both really good sites.
Zagatto Wrote:I'd have to say the biggest thing about which platform you're looking at is what type of work you plan on doing with it.

Mac gives way more bang for the buck with work on graphics, video, audio, and other digital arts. It's more stable than the OSs offered by Microsoft and runs faster for these applications.

If you want something geared towards surfing the net and playing video games then going for a Microsoft platform is the way to go. They aren't as stable but there is a LOT more software available for the various Windows platforms and are less expensive up front.

Look at the software you want to run... compare the prices between the systems available to you and get the best balance.

My best friend who is a computer engineer (I'm pretty sure that he isn't "too stupid to figure out how to use a computer") has recently switched over to Mac because he prefers the stability and quality of build for the dollar. He does run Linux on his computers and mostly does business stuff, digital imaging, programming, and e-mail on his computers. Right now I'm benefitting from Carl's change of allegience and using his cast off Dell laptop (1Ghz PIII, 256MB RAM and other decent goodies for something that can't handle what he needs it to do every day).

I'm trying to figure out how Cidien came up with such a hair brained response to label all Macs for "retarded people". I know many computer literate people making a good living using their Macs. I find his statement to be an insult to all these people who are quite happy with their computer choice.

in two words: Not true

What a mac offers over a regular PC is a different choice in software and 64-bit processing. As for stability, it all depends on what you do with the OS. If you're an idiot with your OS, it's going to terribly unstable. THe only times my computer would freeze is when the program I'm using has a hiccup, not the OS itself (case in point: ASPI).

When it comes to multi-media programs, you have your share of programs for both systems. If you want to go 3D, you have Maya on both systems, 3D studio max (for games) on the PC and some other 3D program on the Mac. For Audio, you have multitudes of programs to use each of which having their collective pros and cons.

I think the point goes to this: If you're looking to do any multi-media creation, you have your choice of multi-thousand dollar audio/video creation suites on the Mac, or less powerful but more plentiful audio/video creation suites for the PC.

Premiere is not the only video creation suite on a PC.

Both PC and Mac run Photoshop. The mac only has 64-bit processing over the PC, and that's if you don't buy an Athlon 64 (which you should, since they're cheap).

Lastly, PC laptops are far more cost effective than iBooks. An iBook will start at $1099 and have very few things you can really change on them (if you don't need all the junk on it). PC laptops are much cheaper new. PC laptops are generally much cheaper used as well. Considering it's a laptop, I'm assuming you aren't going to do much more than write papers, surf the web and play a few games. Maybe write some code or something. $1099 would be much more a suitable price for that sort thing, unless you want to pay many more hundreds of dollars for a slightly thinner iBook.

Cidien, IBM doesn't make many things beyond servers anymore. It's the more generic to say PC.
get whatever u feel like getting and Suzakuseikun i take it u like yugioh a hella lot Big Grin
just to annoy retards im gonna post

Micro$oft Tongue

I \m/
I wasn't being entirely serious when I wrote that. Although that is or at least was a main selling point for macs a while back. I know they have their uses, our psychology department uses them to run experiments because they run the test data better.
yukimoritenchen Wrote:get whatever u feel like getting and Suzakuseikun i take it u like yugioh a hella lot Big Grin

Just been too lazy to make a new signature and avatar, really.
thanks guys, i''m really drunk but thnak you for your inmput and hopefully in the future i'lll rememeber what you said but seriously i'm really drunk and stuff.
Atomic Orgasm Wrote:thanks guys, i''m really drunk but thnak you for your inmput and hopefully in the future i'lll rememeber what you said but seriously i'm really drunk and stuff.

pff, when I'm drunk, I can still spell correctly!