Import Anime Forums

Full Version: New guy seeking advice/wisdom
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Im new to this site and just wanted to say hello to everyone.

Also wanted to ask you who know so much more then me about anime a few questions.

I own titles like : Beserk(set),Cowboy bebop(Set),Outlaw star(set),Trigun(set),Ninja scroll,Gundam Wing(set)
questions

1)i was just wondering if i could get yall's advice on some maybe lesser known(cause most i have are high profile) titles that i should look into getting next. I figure based on my collection yall may be able to point out some that i would like.

Thanks in advance.

2) i was thinking of getting some of the full metal panic series, just wonderin about if it was good or whatever.

Thanks guys,
Dragoon
2)FMP is a fun series. Doubt you would regret it if you get it.
1)What do you have in your collection?

Blood Shadow
X
Fruits Basket
Saiyuki
Koihime
.Hack//Sign
Angelic Layer
Banner of the Stars
Crest of the Stars
Ceres Celestial
Fushigi Yuugi
Escaflowne
Oni Tensei
Now and Then, Here and There
Haibane Renmei
Heat Guy J
Boogiepop
Dual Parallel
DNA2
Abenoshi
Big O
Gokudo
Orphen
Initial D
Twelve Kingdoms
GTO
Last Exile
Tenchi Muyo Universe + OVA + Movies
Chance Pop
Full Moon wo Sagashite
Kaleido Star
Tsukihime
All Miyazki's movies
Inuyasha
Naruto
Yu Yu Hakusho
Rahxephon
R.O.D TV + OVA
Vandread
WHR
S-cry-ed
Rurouni Kenshin
Argentosoma
Vampire Princess Miyu
Zenki Saga 1-4
Wild Arms
Those Who Hunt Elves Seasons 1+2
Texhnolyze
Blood Royale
Super Gals
SoulTaker
Pretear
Record of Lodoss War OVA
Rune Soldier
Soul Hunter
Strawberry Eggs
Roujin Z
Photon, Idiot Adventure
Someday's Dreamers
Soul Bianca
Silent Mobius
Saikano
Gravitation
Black Heaven
Go Nagai's series
Dai-guard
blah blah blah........

It depends on your tastes actually. What we like may not be what you like.
It's actually kind of hard to judge what lesser known titles you might enjoy based on what you already own. It's really easy to enjoy anime from different genres when the production is as high quality as those.

Here are a few that I do recommend though that I've enjoyed that I don't see mentioned as often.

Photon: The Idiot Adventure - This is one of the funniest anime I have ever seen and I recommend it to everyone.

Initial D: This one is fairly popular and with good reason. The animation and story telling in it are both top notch.

Irresponsible Captain Tyler: Another comedy... this time in space...

FLCL: Strange strange stuff but very well done and only one disc.

Rurouni Kenshin: This is a wildly popular series that stands out as a must see.

There are bunches more as you can see from the list above. If you are ever in doubt, do an internet search for a title and you can usually find a few different reviews to compare. Opnions can vary widely and something that one person likes may be scorned by another. I find that comparing opinions gives me the best over all chance of finding something that I like to watch.
Well First off welcome to the board. As far as your question I could tell you ones I liked but without knowing what types of anime are your fav comedy, fantasy, car racing ect it would be hard to tell you for sure which titles you might like or not. But if all else fails and you have time do some reserch and read reviews
Thanks alot for the feedback. I tend to like the action adventure/mecha kinds of anime if that helps define my taste a little better. Always been a gundam fan and i recently just started picking up other shows that looked prety cool to me.

One thing is for sure i am hooked on anime.

i will definately look into grabbing the Rurouni Kenshin series and possibly FMP at the same time.

Thanks guys more feedback would be cool.
Start collecting all the gundam series then. 0079, 0080, 0083, 08th ms team and if you don't mind subs V and X have decent subs. Oh ya, and here's another vote for Irresponsible Captain Tylor. (have the ova's for sale if you want to buy them sometime)
Action, GET ESCAFLOWNE NOW!! Wow that seriously is the best, very action packed too. If you like berserk, you might like lodoss OVA (though quite different). Macross Plus (episdoes, not the film) is a nice little series too... If you like the "cool guy is really tough and kicks ass" anime genre, hellsing is good too.
I want the lodoss war set but i doesnt seem to be available anymore. The one sive seen have said out of print on them or somthin and i dont wanna pay the 60 bucks at media play for it.

i asked a guy in trades about buying his but i don't think hes responded yet.

i can't figure out if the one in the store is a tv series one or what but then again im prety new to the anime stuff relative to most of you.
Dragoon Wrote:I want the lodoss war set but i doesnt seem to be available anymore. The one sive seen have said out of print on them or somthin and i dont wanna pay the 60 bucks at media play for it.

i asked a guy in trades about buying his but i don't think hes responded yet.

I have the OVA's by FX which is now OOP on my trade list if you're interested.
im very interested. but i dont have much to trade so how much $ would you need and how could i pay it(paypal?) .

thanx
Welcome, I'm fairly new here too. Rurouni Kenshin is a definate must see, FLCL and Photon are both excellent comedies, good recommendation Zagatto.

Berserk is good, but its very heavily story based and very dark, not your usual kind of anime especially considering it seems more like medievil europe with knights. As for action anime, I'm quite a big fan of Shadow Skill (26 eps) its quite good but very rare, pick it up if you can, starts a bit slow but gets really good.

G-Gundam is quite good for a cool mecha show, it should be around the shop here somewhere but if not you can always request it in. Evangelion is good too, nice mechs, but its very heavily story based and character driven with alot of religious references and unfortunatly the action scenes are few and far between, but its a great series that most anime should at least view for the experience even if they don't like it.

Escaflowne..hmm its was good...but it was very...girly I suppose, definatly worth checking out, but don't expect a super action packed fest with loads of fights
Vicious, when you say FX, is that the special collectors rip? Man that is the best!

dragoon, lodoss war ova is really good. every episode is gripping and exciting classic rpg stuff. I think you should try it out.
ouijaouija Wrote:Vicious, when you say FX, is that the special collectors rip? Man that is the best!

Yes. It says 'collector series' on it and I got it right before it went OOP. But I ended up getting the R1's for it, so I have no further need for the HK's.

This isn't the trade forum, so I'll keep it simple. If you want to buy stuff rather than trade, its $5 per disc. PM me with whatever you want from my list and I'll figure shipping out.