Import Anime Forums

Full Version: My DSL connection sucks
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Man, it's been so crappy these past few weeks, it was never great, it was suppose to be 3.0 mbps but I never got a reading of more than 1.0, I can live with that though but now it's plain old crappy, constant disconnects, sometimes I get painfully slow download speeds. I call customer support and I get an answering machine all the time. I have Aei.ca DSL, if it doesn't improve in next few weeks I'm going back to Bell Sympatico, I used to be with Bell but I left them after they introduced the 5 gig cap and that they wouldn't let me return their modem and waive the modem rental fee even though I had my own modem. But now Bell doesn't have any download/upload caps and it's 30$CDN a month now with modem, the same price as what I am paying now. The problem is that I have to sign a one year contract but I dont mind if I get a decent service and connection

Does anyone know of any other DSL ISP provider in the Montreal region that is good, has to be around 30-35$ a month and no download/upload caps.
The connection at my parent's house is messed up too.. Actually, it's the computer.. they have cable but computer's so old that it's running like a dial up modem. I heard that eventually there might be some service going through the power lines in the US. Sorry I can't help.. don't know anything about Montreal (or Canada!) But that is a pain, especially if you play online computer games, like Ultima Online.
I had the exact same problem but it turn out to be due to a virus. Actually it was due to a bunch of viruses.
Oh, poor you.... I'm still on shitty 56k Sad

It makes me soooooo angry!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! *head explodes* Wink
Wow Matt. Sorry to hear the bad news. I am on Road Runner and have yet to have any problems. Do you guys get that in Canada? You should check out cable if you can at all. I get almost 3mbps.
I don't think it's a virus as I regularly run a virus scans. I thought it could have been my router but I hooked up my modem directly to my computer and ran a speedtest and I got back a speed of 200 kbps which is the same as I was getting with my modem connected to my modem this past week, much lower than the 1.0 mbps I regularly get just last month and definately much lower than the 3.0 mbps advertised. I nearly expected to get great speeds cause I live quite far from the telco office but 200 kbps is ridiculous.

Cable is out of the question cause I don't have cable TV and it cost like 10$ extra a month for me to get cable. Bell Sympatico is probably the biggest DSL provider in my area and there are lots of other small ISPs also. Maybe my ISP is port throttling as me and my brother been downloading alot recently, especially on Bittorrent.

Ryujin Wrote:Oh, poor you.... I'm still on shitty 56k Sad

It makes me soooooo angry!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! *head explodes* Wink

Well, you pay a 56K connection you get just that. I pay for a DSL connection but I get much less than advertised so I feel I have a right to complain about it and more importantly, do something about it if it doesn't improve soon.
Oh yeah I know, I was just joking. You should really complain to your ISP.

Oh and I'm not on 56k by choice, I can't get BB yet because my line keeps failing DSL tests and other forms of BB are not available in my area yet.
Are you using p2p programs? I have a 1meg connection I got recently and when I got it I was also dissapointed especially on Kazaa as that should go quite fast but alot of the time its just down to who you connect to and stuff so now I just throw on loads of downloads at the same time and use the full bandwith better as instead of connecting to one at like 300 I could connect to 3 at 300 or so... Also if you share alot get DC++ its the fasted i've used...
matthewmalay Wrote:Well, you pay a 56K connection you get just that. I pay for a DSL connection but I get much less than advertised so I feel I have a right to complain about it and more importantly, do something about it if it doesn't improve soon.
Actually when i had dial up i would be very lucky to get 28k and usually it was 14-21k. 56k was but a dream!