Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Conan The Boy in Future
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Does anybody know when Conan, The boy in Future is going to be released in the US? I checked all of this year's news archives at http://www.animenewsnetwork.com but didn't find anything so I was wondering if you guys know anything about it.
Probably never. As old as that series is, if it hasn't been released by now, it most likely never will.
Guess I'll just have to buy the Portuguese edition then! Sad Damn boxsets are ugly! Sad
Yeah but it's a great series. Especially important if you're a completionist and happen to enjoy Miyazaki's works. I've got the MI boxed set and quite enjoyed it in spite of some pretty bad subtitles.
I've watched Conan on tv some years ago and really enjoyed it, that's why I want to make it a part of my collection. I would buy the MI set but I just can't stand bad subtitles. Some people are picky about the video quality, I'm picky about the subtitles.
People have said a timed script of Conan is easily available from the web. You play the DVD, turn all the subtitle options off, and play the timed script. You will have a perfect English subtitles. The only drawback is you can only do that on your computer.
I was told Disney has a contract with Studio Ghibli and that all of the anime series ever produced by Miyazaki are going to be published in the US. That includes Conan The Boy in Future. That's just going to take a while to happen.
I thought that contract with Disney only covered the stuff he produced while at Ghibli. I'm pretty sure the contract doesn't cover any of Miyazaki's Lupin III work or the stuff he did for Anne of Green Gables.

It would be cool to have Conan get the same treatment that Spirited Away, Laputa, Kiki, and Monoke have gotten from Ghibli.
The guy who told me that is the manager of a bookstore specialized in American comic books, manga, French BD, anime, etc, so he usually knows a lot about future releases. Then again he could be wrong.
I was curious, so I went to some fan sites and checked. Apprarently, the deal between Disney and Ghilbi only includes the titles that Miyazaki directed and Ghibli owns. It looks like Conan is not owned by Studio Ghibli, but by Nippon Animation. And no one has North American right to Conan. I think we are stuck with Conan HKs.
Download the cd sized rips of the R2s. They look great and have ac3 sound and then get the softsubs and play them together.
Sounds like a prime title for an enterprising anime fan to try to get as a premiere title for a new anime company... I wonder how much the rights are selling for?

I'm sure there are people out there who would like to get started on their own anime company here in North America... having a Miyazaki title would be a major coup for a start up company.
I?m guessing anything associated with him is going to cost. Add that to the fact its only mostly going to be hardcore fans that will buy it, it doesn?t seem like a good investment.
gubi-gubi Wrote:I?m guessing anything associated with him is going to cost. Add that to the fact its only mostly going to be hardcore fans that will buy it, it doesn?t seem like a good investment.

I agree. An older title like that is going to have a limited audience.
Yeah... it is pretty dated... makes you wonder how much it would cost though. Maybe nobody has picked it up yet because it is priced prohibitively high.
I'm sure there is enough of an audience for it, even though it is dated, to make it worth releasing if the royalties weren't outrageous. So far, I've made sure to buy every R1 Miyazaki project that has been released. I love seeing him be successful and look forward to his every movie (any word on Howl's Moving Castle for a release date?).
Oh yeah... I also heard that he made a 15 minute short of Totoro with a baby Catbus that I'm dying to see. Does anyone have any word on this production?
Pages: 1 2