Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Help! Looking for subtitles!!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey... I went and saw Hero in the theatre last week with my wife (first trip to the movies this year) and was totally blown away. So then I'm at the Pacific Mall yesterday talking with my buddy about it when I find out there is a new movie from the same director called House of Flying Daggers. Of course it moves to the top of my must have list. Being the Pacific Mall... there is a copy of it for sale in a nice slip case that advertises English subtitles for a massive $5 (that's Canadian). I couldn't resist.

So I'm home with House of Flying Daggers and I pop it in the DVD player only to find it doesn't have ANY subtitles at all. The movie is eye popping beautiful as well.

Is there such a thing as subtitles that can be downloaded and played along with a DVD?
Or is there a copy of this movie available online that already has subtitles?

I've heard that if I'm patient that I will get to see House of Flying Daggers in the theatres as Sony has commited to North American theatrical distribution of this movie. But I'm not patient so I want to get subtitles that I can run with my movie...

Any help?
If you're really really desperate i'm sure you could find the dialogue online and just read along as they talk. =P
House of the Flying Daggers isn't officially out on DVD yet so I'm not surprised to see that there ain't any english subs on the DVD you bought as they are probalby screeners.

Just wait until the official DVD comes out and then check this site for timed scripts.
http://kloofy.subtitles.de/start.php
I'm really looking forward to watching this movie, I might even buy the official DVD when it comes out.

I bought alot of stuff from Pacific mall that didn't have any english subtitles but claimed so on the cover, most of them were Korean or Japanese movies though.

Haha, 5$ Canadian for a movie there is about the norm, you can get even cheaper, like 2-3$. I bought The Ring once for 8$ (it was on a DVD-9 unlike the 5$ ones which are all DVD-5) and my brother, who lives in Toronto and buys a ton of asian movies, thought I was crazy for spending so much money on a DVD.

EDIT: Hehe, check out the right side on the home page of the site I posted, House of the Flying Daggers is the "Can't wait to See" movie and is the number one movie for most wanted subs so I guess there are lots of other people in your situation also.
Wow... thanks for the hot tip on the web site.
Now I have a new place to feed my HK movie addiction and keep track of which ones are going to be worth watching.

You should let me know next time you're coming down to TO and we can get together. I was going to say that I could show you around but I'm guessing that your brother knows the place better than I do. I can make it to the Pacific Mall in just over an hour on a good day.
[QUOTE=Zagatto]Wow... thanks for the hot tip on the web site.
Now I have a new place to feed my HK movie addiction and keep track of which ones are going to be worth watching.
QUOTE]

You could try this site for HK movies as well.

http://www.pokerindustries.com

I like the fact that they have a lot of movies from other countries as well. Unfortunately, I can't really vouch for their shipping quality, because I just pick them up at thier retail store instead.
Will do Zagatto, even though I don't know when is the next time I'll have time to visit TO.

Looks like Sony pictures has a release date for the North American theatrical release of House of the Flying Daggers, Dec 3, 2004
http://www.sonyclassics.com/comingsoon.p...=88&page=2
matthewmalay Wrote:Will do Zagatto, even though I don't know when is the next time I'll have time to visit TO.

Looks like Sony pictures has a release date for the North American theatrical release of House of the Flying Daggers, Dec 3, 2004
http://www.sonyclassics.com/comingsoon.p...=88&page=2

Hopefully they won't fuck up the translation like Miramax did to Hero. I'm really looking forward to that after watching Hero. JJ has Hero on the list here, does anyone know which verison did the rip come from?
I'm not sure how the translation of Hero was fucked up. I quite enjoyed Hero both times that I've seen it (gonna try to see it one more time before it leaves the big screen).
Zagatto Wrote:I'm not sure how the translation of Hero was fucked up. I quite enjoyed Hero both times that I've seen it (gonna try to see it one more time before it leaves the big screen).

The prologue and epilogue is different from the original. A better but still not 100% accurate translation is at http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/dvdcompare/hero/hero.txt The text there didn't translate the names of the seven kingdoms which were listed in the original Chinese cut.

Broken Sword didn't write "our land", he actually wrote "under the heaven/sky" which could lead to other interpretations as to what he meant. (ironically, you could see those two characters in my sig. it's the bottom two) He could be referring to unification or just people. And the whole thing about Chinese calling their country our land is pure BS. The Chinese characters for China actually translates to "middle country." Supposedly they called their country by that name because in ancient times, they felt they were so advanced that they thought they were the center of the world. Hence, the "middle country." While the differences are not drastic, I still prefer the original as I'm a purist when it comes to movies, especially when the changes don't enhance the said movie.
Bringing this up from the dead!

Saw House of the Flying Daggers yesterday, it was alright, I found the second half of the movie to be pretty boring and the story didn't really advance much in the second half. The movie had some great sets and gorgeous scenery, real nice eye candy

BTW Zagatto, if you still havent found timed subs for the movie some are available at the site I posted earlier in this thread.