Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Naruto and Initial D similarities
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been really enjoying Naruto with my wife for the past few weeks and it was this morning while laying in bed that I realized I enjoy Naruto for a lot of the same reasons I really enjoyed Initial D.

Both series have a very simple protaganist as a main character. By that I mean neither one of them is ever scheming some sinister plot. They both live in the moment and deal with situations around them rather than manipulating things. The biggest difference is that the first season of Initial D deals with Takumi coming to terms with what it is that he wants while Naruto knows from the start that he wants people to acknowledge him and is striving to be the best ninja.

The biggest similarity between the shows is the overall structure with some set up happening then a fight (race) that lasts for multiple episodes. It's during this fight (race) that the most development seems to happen in the characters. This can make the fight (race) seem to drag on if all you want to see is a fight (race) but if you're paying attention the development taking place with the characters is a real joy to witness.

I've got to get to work now... does anyone else see any other similarities between these two semmingly different shows? Are there other series that have this sort of development that are worth watching?
Never really thought about that but I totally agree. While a little different, I think Gene Starwind from Outlaw star is a lot like that. He always live in the moment, never scheming, trying to find what he wants in life then finding it and doing it. (like Takumi) Yusuke from Yu Yu Hakusho is much like that also. If you like Naruto and happen to have no seen Yu Yu Hakusho i'd suggest picking it up immediately. =P I'm sure you've seen at least Outlaw Star before though so not sure how helpful that was.
This 'similarity' could apply to lots of series. There are lots of main characters like that. Look at the most famous character out there - Goku. He's always striving to get stronger and is not out to plot against anybody. Also with Ash from Pokemon. He's out to be the best Pokemon player whatever out there and has no other alterior motives. If you look at it from this basic character/plot development level, Naruto and Initial D aren't much different from alot of other series.
Zagatto, I believe this reflects what happens in real life. It is often in a tight situation, that a person's true personality shines and blossoms. Under pressure, a person is forced to make decisions that shape the person they are and will become. And throughout the event, a person will make realizations about not only himself, but of others also. Using this newfound knowledge and realization, a person can make decisions that can greatly effect the outcome.

As abstract as that sounds, I feel anime just mimics that pattern.

I feel that Naruto does somewhat of a poor job of it, since they make things drag a little TOO much, and usually at the wrong time. There are times where you just want them to quit thinking so much, and quickly commence fighting. Naruto is a my idea of a 'drag queen', although in recent episodes (post-Tsunabe) it has gotten better.
The most popular & likeable main characters are those with who tend to be nice guys / girls. Schemers are usually thwarted by their innocence or through the allies they attract with their charm and virtue.

In comedies you may get characters like Lina or Gokudo who display many flaws.

There are also the anti-hero types who may use some unconventional methods.

If you dig hard enough in japanese manga there are many more interesting character types but in anime the nice guy template seems to recur most often.