Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Gonzo Digimation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey,

I am a big fan of Gonzo Digimation they make some of the best anime. i was looking at a list of titles they have done and alot of good looking ones arent even out here yet. but of the ones that are out which titles from Gonzo do you all like ?

here is a list of the titles they have been apart of and created past and future:

Blue Submarine #6 (OAV) : Production Studio
Burst Angel (TV) : Animation Production, Original Creator, Planning, Production
Choujuushin Gravion Zwei (TV) : Animation, Original Creator, Production
Chrono Crusade (TV) : Animation Production
Dokkoida?! (TV) : Cinematography
Final Fantasy: Unlimited (TV) : Animation
Full Metal Panic! (TV) : Animation Production
Full Metal Panic! The Anime Mission (Resource Book manga) : Cooperation
Gad Guard (TV) : Original Concept, Production Studio
Gankutsu Ou (TV) : Animation, Production
Gantz (TV) : Animation Production
Gate Keepers (TV) : Animation, Planning, Production
Gate Keepers 1985 (Novel manga) : Original Idea
Gatekeepers 21 (OAV) : Copyright, Production
Gravion (TV) : Animation, Production
Hellsing (TV) : Animation, Production
Kaleido Star (TV) : Animation
Kaleido Star: New Wings Extra Stage (OAV) : Animation
Kiddy Grade (TV) : Production
Last Exile (TV) : Planning, Producer, Production Studio
Macross Dynamite 7 (OAV) : Opening Animation
Macross XX (OAV Promo) : Animation
Melty Lancer (OAV) : Animation Production, Production
Peace Maker Kurogane (TV) : Animation Production, Planning
Rahxephon: Pluralitas Concentio (movie) : Background Scan, Photography
SaiKano (TV) : Animation Production
Samurai 7 (TV) : Animation Production, Production
Samurai Girl Real Bout High School (TV) : Production
Spirit (movie) : Production
Sunabozu (TV) : Animation Production
The World of Narue (TV) : CG Production
Vandread (TV) : Production Studio
Vandread Taidouhen (OAV) : Animation
Vandread Turbulence (OAV) : Production
Vandread: The Second Stage (TV) : Production Studio
Witchblade (TV) : Production
Yukikaze (OAV) : Animation Production
Zaion: I Wish You Were Here (TV) : Animation Production, Production

_________________________ __________________________________
My choices would have to be these out of the ones i have seen and look forward to see in the future:

Blue Submarine #6 (OAV)
Burst Angel (TV)
Chrono Crusade (TV)
Final Fantasy: Unlimited (TV)
Full Metal Panic! (TV)
Gad Guard (TV)
Gatekeepers 21 (OAV)
Gravion (TV)
Hellsing (TV)
Kaleido Star (TV)
Kiddy Grade (TV)
Last Exile (TV)
Rahxephon: Pluralitas Concentio (movie)
Vandread (TV)
Vandread: The Second Stage (TV)

-LE
Good to meet another Gonzo fan. I'm a HUGE fan of their work, and I've seen most of the stuff on your lengthy list.

I would very highly recommend Samurai 7, which is currently airing in Japan at the moemnt. It's another very qualitied piece of work by Gonzo.
yeah i have a huge list of studios on my list.
gonzo is on the top they are one of the best with a great list of high quality titles.

also :
-GAINAX
-Sunrise
-Bones
-J. C. Staff
-Madhouse Studios

those are some of my favorite studios ! Bones and Sunrise are the top 2 !

-LE
Like you, Last Exile, I feel it's important for anyone who watches anime to know what studio their animes came from. It's a great way to observe the subtle evolution of Japanese animation from studio to studio. Whether it be animation techniques or drawing styles, it really makes you appreciate the works each studio pumps out.

What impresses me about Gonzo is their dedication to pushing the limits of Japanese animation. They've been one of the biggest supporters of the usage of 3D animation with 2D animation, and it definitely shows in their work. Also, they were one of the very first studios to switch over from traditional cel animation to digital animation. Anything with the Gonzo name, I always give a chance. As an FYI, did you know that the founder of Gonzo was an ex-employee of Gainax?

Bones has also impressed me a great deal. I remember watching Rahxephon, and never having heard of Bones, I was keen on watching the development of this studio through their animation projects. Now with Full Metal Alchemist, I'm behind them all the way, and I'm convinced that they'll continue to do great work.

Another studio that Last Exile didn't mention but I also feel is quite worthy of respect is XEBEC, the studio behind Stellvia, Planetes, and Soukyuu no Fafner, among other titles. I believe they're also a relatively new studio that has been producing some very high qualitied work.
Last Exile, to answer your question, some of my favorite Gonzo works include:

- Blue Submarine 6
- Gatekeepers TV, OVA
- Vandread
- Hellsing
- Saikano
- Full Metal Panic
- Last Exile
- Kiddy Grade
- Chrno Crusade
- Yukikaze
- Bakuretsu Tenshi (not included in Last Exile's list)
- Samurai 7

These series all feature great animation, some of which include the usage of 3D CGi animation to further enhance the viewing experience.
Hey Robojack, what do you consider new, studio wise? Past ten years? [And no, I'm not being a smart ass, for once. I'm serious.]

Xebec did the animation production for Sorcerer Hunters, which was made in 1995. So it's been almost ten years since they've been around.

And, to keep on topic, Gonzo does some damn fine work. Peacemaker was excellent [well, the plot was weak compared to the manga. . .], and Samurai 7 is neat [but odd]. Hellsing and FMP are also excellent.

Another favorite of mine? Studio BONES. They're currently doing Full Metal Alchemist, but they were also behind Wolf's Rain, and RahXephon.
You're absolutely right, Suzakuseikun. I must be out of my mind to have thought that XEBEC was a new studio. However, it's their recent work that impresses me the most, as most of their past titles have not done much for me. My mistake, and thanks for the correction.
I like what Gonzo did with Suikoden III. Very nice stuff.
They did Last Exile, enough said!
I was created at Gonzo ! Big Grin
well i think i have the next topic for anime awards week 2.

well ill be trying to pull this together before my anime craving kicks in !
guess what i won a few days a go a lot of 25 anme soundtracks for 20$ cant wait to get them. ill probaly sell the ones i dont want ! ill put some on my trade list ~

-LE
The anime that I reconize and looked into or have seen.That I really like are.Also anime that has great animation to it is definately a bonus to watching any anime.^_^

Chrono Crusade
Full Metal Panic!
Gad Guard
Gatekeepers 21
Kaleido Star
Kaleido Star
Kiddy Grade
Last Exile
Rahxephon
Vandread
Samurai Girl Real Bout High School
Final Fantasy: Unlimited
I just got to see Chrono Crusade recently. A+ excellent done art on the series.
Does anybody agree with me that hellsing should have been made into a 26 episode series, and why it wasn't. i've being reading the manga and there is much more that the t.v series could have done. i'm kind of disapointed that they didn't make it a full series, it would have been nice. i enjoy the manga much more than the animated series, now that i have read the first 3 volumes, and i'm waiting for the fourth to be released.
I don't agree with you, because it's not Gonzo's decision as to whether or not another Hellsing series is made, particularly since it was based on a manga. The mangaka has the right to deny a studio from further developing a series based on their work, and this is what happened to Hellsing. The mangaka didn't like the way the anime turned out, and did not approve of a second season.