Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Copyright stuff... from Guess Rav Av
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Last Exile Wrote:vicious, you should change your name to precious cause your so nice ! lol
maybe ill ask a friend to make one it could be your good side lol.
-LE

But I don't have a good side.
Ka-Talliya Wrote:My only question is if RAV is that artist. If he is, that's cool, but if you just found it on Elfwood and flinched it...that's even worse than the lying thing.
I hate that. It really bothers me when people do that. Oh, I found the person that stole that picture. They had made it into a banner for their website and claimed it as their own. I reported them and their website was removed. :mad:
ladysilverice Wrote:I found the person that stole that picture. They had made it into a banner for their website and claimed it as their own. I reported them and their website was removed. :mad:

Some people have no morals.. what a shame.
ladysilverice Wrote:I hate that. It really bothers me when people do that. Oh, I found the person that stole that picture. They had made it into a banner for their website and claimed it as their own. I reported them and their website was removed. :mad:

reported it to whom? There is no central authority to report things to.
kakomu Wrote:reported it to whom? There is no central authority to report things to.
No there isn't, but there are people that over see and take care of groups. If their website was created by a certain group then those people have to authority to take it down. For instance an aol based website is under the authority of aol. Stealing artwork is also a copy right infringment. I could theoretically sue them. Theoretically, mind you. I understand that if my work is on the internet people are going to steal it. That doesn't mean it doesn't upset me when I find out about it.
Well if you really have a registered copyright website legal wise you could take action but it isn't worth it. Most people with the nice ascii text of the "Copyright" logo at the bottom of their sites don't really have it legally "copyrighted"
legally "copyrighted"?
According to law in the US (and most other countries) a piece of work is copywritten as soon as it's created. If the creator can prove they created it in a court of law then they are entitled to all the protections accorded by the law.
Registering a copyright is just one of the most sure ways of proving you've created something. For me, once a month I take all the images I've created, burn them to a CD and mail them to myself. The date stamp on an envelope is enough to prove date of creation in a court of law and that way I don't have to register every single image with a copyright office.

Trademarks and patents are entirely different issues that I don't know that well. I know that Harvey's (a hamburger chain up here in Canada) has successfully trademarked a specific shade of orange and Nike has successfully copywritten "Just Do It". The differences between the three are as follows, Copyright protects a specific work such as a painting, recording or sculpture. Trademark protects a signature that is associated with a company or individual such as a phrase, character, or even colour. Patents protect original ideas and are mostly used for inventions (and I actually know the least about even though the people I know who hold patents are super proud of them).

Now that I'm totally off from my original post. That little copyright symbol on a page is NOT required as a proof of copyright. It does help to identify the owner of a piece of art in a law suit or if it is produced somewhere that the original creator doesn't have control over (like ads in a magazine).
Zagatto Wrote:For me, once a month I take all the images I've created, burn them to a CD and mail them to myself. The date stamp on an envelope is enough to prove date of creation in a court of law and that way I don't have to register every single image with a copyright office.

My question is, sure you have an envelope with a date stamp on it, but how do you prove what was in the envelope? I mean you could always choose any CD of yours and take it in wiht the envelope and be like 'I copyrighted this 2 years ago'.
Quote:My question is, sure you have an envelope with a date stamp on it, but how do you prove what was in the envelope? I mean you could always choose any CD of yours and take it in wiht the envelope and be like 'I copyrighted this 2 years ago'.

You don't open the envelope, you archive it, so if the need ever arises a judge in court can open it and inspect the files contained within. Smart thinking, Zagatto, and very well stated in reguards to your comments on copyrights.
darkanx Wrote:You don't open the envelope, you archive it, so if the need ever arises a judge in court can open it and inspect the files contained within. Smart thinking, Zagatto, and very well stated in reguards to your comments on copyrights.

I thought about that. But over time, the glue on the envelopes does wear off to the point where it doesn't even work anymore. So there are some flaws with this idea.
I just checked some of my envelopes from the early 90s and all of them are still sealed. I wonder how long I should worry about my copyrights? I have yet to have someone infringe on one of my creations in a way that I don't like.

Besides, I'd feel like a total hypocrite if I went after someone for copyright infringement.
Zagatto, you should check on that envelope copyright thing.. I mean, whether or not it's really valid in court. I took a business law class a long time ago and I think I remembered the teacher saying that won't hold up in court anymore. Can't remember if it's for a specific work of art or if it was for a patent.
i was kidding !
there is no nice that resides in that mind and body of yours. but ill jus thave to create a good side for you that can accept peoples "opinions" Wink
"your halooooo... is sliping down , your halo is sliping to choke you now." -APC

-LE
This is beyond lame, don't ever worry about copyright stuff, while you buy HK DVDs. "Artists" need to seriously take a step back.
Vicious Wrote:I thought about that. But over time, the glue on the envelopes does wear off to the point where it doesn't even work anymore. So there are some flaws with this idea.
Duct tape...
Pages: 1 2