Import Anime Forums

Full Version: ADV's Azumanga Daioh
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,
Just wondering if anyone has watched the ADV releases of Azumanga Daioh and wanted to ask how good are the dubbing and subbing. By good subbing I mean if they run close to the fansubs or not (i.e. explanations and notes). Thanks!
There are notes in the small booklet that comes with each DVD, they are not in the subtitles themselves.

I prefer this way than putting notes in the subtitles themselves, it gets annoying when half the screen is filled with subtitles and sometimes the notes are about things I don't care about or already know

The dub, I don't know cause I haven't watched it for extended period of times, it's a dub, what more can I say about it.
Well, I hope it gets converted to HK DVD format once ADV finishes releasing all the episodes.
Quote:Originally posted by Robojack
Well, I hope it gets converted to HK DVD format once ADV finishes releasing all the episodes.

"converted" eh? is that a new way to describe stealing? :p :p :p
Quote:it gets annoying when half the screen is filled with subtitles and sometimes the notes are about things I don't care about or already know

Ehh I think I prefer reading the notes on the screen instead of looking down to read the booklet, though it is a cute and thoughtful addition to the DVDs as Azu is steeped in Japanese tradition and needs explanation for American viewers like me Big Grin . I've watched the fansubs and their notes were take up half the screen or deterred from my viewing pleasure.

As for the future Azu "Perfect Collections", I'm pretty sure they won't include the booklets and so I question if they will provide adequate subs...:p probably not...

Also, anyone watched the dub?

Thanks!
Quote:anyone watched the dub?

I did -- very well done.

I didn't watch it in Japanese, though ADV's IS&M crew did an excellent job pairing the English voices with the traits of the characters. Worth watching in both languages.
Great! Thanks for the input rugrats1 =) I think I might pick up the R1s (6 (vol. 4 out) dvds whoohoo).
I watch one episodes subs they were good. The dubbing is worth watching cause it was top notch in my opinion.
Quote:Originally posted by dailyplanet
As for the future Azu "Perfect Collections", I'm pretty sure they won't include the booklets and so I question if they will provide adequate subs...:p probably not...

Yeh thats always a problem. I think that might of happend with GTO. Can anyone confirm that? Because im sure there were some random expressions in it that left me thinking 'what the hells the origin of that?'. Something about a rock or something I cant remember...
Quote:The dubbing is worth watching cause it was top notch in my opinion.

I'm really excited to hear that. I can't imagine an English VA for Chiyochan's part but if you say that it is top notch then I must hear for myself =). Yay for cuteness Big Grin
Quote:I can't imagine an English VA for Chiyochan's part but if you say that it is top notch then I must hear for myself =).

Jessie Boone does a pretty good job as Chiyo-Chan, who sounds alot like Lil from "Rugrats". To be honest, at first, I thought that was Kath Soucie (who does Lil on the Rugrats series) doing the role of Chiyo-Chan, so you know how good Jessie really is.
Awww Lil! I loved Rugrats! At first I was thinking Phil but then I got it straight. That's actually pretty close to Chiyochan's Japanese voice =D.