Import Anime Forums

Full Version: So what is Spirited Away about, I hear a lot about it
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
i keep seeing it pop up all over the place, could someone give me a little idea what the plot is like? thanks Big Grin
cant comment on plot since i havent seen it but its very good, people say that its alot better than Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away is done by the same producer (Studio Ghibli)
It's from Miyazaki. That's reason enough for me. Though it being better than Princess Mononoke is unlikley. I think that Princess Mononoke was the best movie of all time!!!!
You need to see Totoro, Steve. Wink
I need the Ghibli Box Set, though I don't have the time or money for it. I'm buying YUA Box Set $295
Dragon Ball Fan Subs $90
Fist of the North Star Pt.1 $45
Pia Carrot $45
Beserk $30
Zenki Saga 2 $40

Not to mention I'm getting a ton more HK at Christmas. I still need to see Inu Yasha, GTO, Akazukim Cha Cha, Kishin Corps, Patlabor TV, Miracle Girls, Sailor Moon (heavy watching), Hand Maid May, Ranma 1/2 Movie 1, and Urusei Yatsura Volume 5. There's just way too much in my collection, though I think I'm rotating well enough. Maybe I'll toss out Fist of the North Star, Pia Carrot, or Beserk and grab the Ghibli Box Set. ^_^ Most likely the Carrot will go. :mrgreen:
Years down the line, when you're perhaps not watching as much anime as you do now, you'll be happy to have the Ghibli titles, I think. There are a lot of timeless classics in that box. It's up there with my Kenshin and Card Captor Sakura stuff as my favorite HK sets.
Somehow I don't think my fandom wil ever die. Hopefully it won't slow down too much (except for college). :?
Here's a brief overview of Spirited Away. I'll try avoiding spoilers but don't make any promises.

A young girl is moving to a new town with her parents. She's not happy about it at all. Dad decides to try taking a short cut down a barely marked road. The whole family thinks they've walked into an abandoned theme park which is actually a land of ghosts, spirits, and gods.
Mom and Dad get turned into pigs.
Daughter gets a job in a bath house in the hopes of getting her parents turned back into people and getting back to the real world.

The animation is stunning in this and Miyazaki manages some of his most subtle character development ever. If you don't own the Studio Ghibli boxed set yet then you should make it your number one priority for your next purchase. There isn't another set of anime that even comes close to being on par with the richness of animation and diversity of story telling that you will find in that box.
I'll slap down any arguments from any comers because I am so right on this point. Don't argue... BUY!!!
Gaaaaaah Spoliers scare me, greatly. :mrgreen: