Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Which dystopia?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So, after wathing Equilibrium and seeing it's amalgamation of different elements from the three large dystopian books, I thought I would Poll everyone their favorite.

A) Fahrenheit 451 - In this book, the pollice destroy all works of literature (and I assume art).

B) Brave New World - In this book, civilization has been brainwashed and continually drugged to allow for ease of living.

C) 1984 - In this book, civilization lives in perpetual fear of doing anything bad because of the large parent figure looming everywhere.

So, which is it? Personally, my vote goes for Brave New World, just because of how much thought was put into the environment.
I voted F451, because to be honest i wudnt like to be drugged or live in fear, its just not right, and literature isnt really too important to me either, but i wud go against the destruction of art depending on what kind.
I have to admit, Brave New World, more than the others, really got to me. Maybe it was because I'm a woman and the treatment of women and each other was a shock to me. But you're right, Aldous Huxley really went all out on the setting and background. 1984 has the big brother ideal that eventually the government will take over and we will no longer be a free people, but the book that really hit home for me was Animal Farm. That's a good one to read as well.
I voted 1984 because if you really read the book through and then look at what the Dapartment Of Homeland Security is doing right now the resemblance is uncanny. True we are not getting te barcode and traching device put in us yet. But their are volentarily putting them in children in Britan already, By the parents choice not the childs
To me, it was between 451 and Brave New World. I picked Brave New World, even though I've only read a chapter. I dunno why, i'm too tired to think much.
I vote for Logans Run.
Wow Logans Run, I don't think most of our younger posters are even going to know that was a movie
I saw it when I was about 9 on USA and loved it. I bought it on DVD a week or two ago. I love that movie. I completely forgot that Logan 5 was Basil from Austin Powers.
i really liked all of these books. but i had to go with 1984. imagine always being watched and controled. people who don't conform are brainwashed and the ending, wow.
This is one of the closest polls I think I've ever seen.
I voted F451 because it seems more like the way the current administration would go about doing things.

Another dystopian future book that is incredible to read that has been very well thought out is Gattica. The whole idea of second class citizens just because they don't have designer jeans is so easy to believe. If you're too lazy to read a book at least watch the movie. They did a reasonable movie adaptation of it.
I voted for A Brave New World.
I have read all three of the above mentioned books. Each one is unique on it's take on society. However, I felt that BNW went deeper than the rest to explain society and it's reasoning. I can't say that I actually liked any of them, but they were a good read to get my mind working...